Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

BSOD on XP startup

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For no obvious reason my computer suddenly won't start. It does the info/driver screen, then the flying window XP sign then goes into bsod with this message:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBF803EC6, 0xBA7657c4, 0x00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF803EC6 base at BF00000, DateStamp 45f01366

I can't run from a restore point and can't get in through safe mode and don't really know anything about cmos/bios so until my Dad can come round I can't do anything super technical.

I don't care much about the machine as it is old and soon to be updated, but I really do need everything on the HD not to be lost.

If I can 'get in' I can backup everything onto an external HD, but I just can't get past the startup.

I recently installed a wireless in my house from this computer that the hub is plugged into. The hub is on the same power socket but I don't need the pc on to connect to the wireless with my laptop, so the pc has hardly been on much the past week. I was on it all yesturday and it was running pretty much fine, except for the odd popup and virus alert that mcafee autocleaned.

I thought initially it might be cause I'd unplugged the mouse and left in a disc and flashdrive USB stick but I removed these and replaced the mouse and there was no joy.

I'd be very grateful if someone could offer some advice.