Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install sound card drivers - SOLVED

• Please log in to reply

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello, I have installed a version of linux and I cannot seem to get the driver for my sound card install.

I have fixed several issues in regards to the kernel but there seems to be a problem with something else and I think this is the installer as right at the bottom is says

line 496: command not found
line 497: command not found

This comes up after the licence agreement so I know the commands I am using are correct as I am using the ones supplied with the driver.

Everything else seems to be ok, what can I do/check to fix this problem please?

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 26 August 2008 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
We're going to have to ask you the classic questions. What operating system are you using and what is the hardware, and to add to those two, where are you trying to get the drivers from?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Tyger here is the full information

Operating system = suse linux 11.0

Its a sound blaster audigy xfi xtrememusic (not onboard sound)

Drivers: getting direct from creative

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 25 August 2008 - 08:04 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try getting the drivers from the Suse package manager and check with the Suse forum on you hardware. Unless the drivers from Creative specifically say for Linux you won't get them to work, and even then there may be quite a bit of configuration. If you get them from Suse they will already be configured.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Will do that Tyger.

Just to confirm on creatives website it does just say for linux and not suse linux so I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello all

Just to confirm this problem has been fixed ;) the sound card isn't supported by linux :) I deicded to ask in their community as directed by Tyger where I got all information needed to complete the task, so I thought I would be kind and considerate to let you guys know that this has been fixed.

I'm just puzzled why they would make a driver for a card that linux doesn't support :)

However I still have sound :) although I couldn't get it though my card I decided to give it ago on onboard sound and it works ok :).

Thanks Tyger, really appreciate the help you gave me :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

I'm just puzzled why they would make a driver for a card that linux doesn't support

You have this backwards. Operating system developers don't support hardware, hardware manufactures support operating systems.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I know operating system developers don't support hardware :) it was the way I said it :) again lol, I wanted to put this across like as I don't know why creative would make a driver for their hardware (meaning the sound card) when Linux (the operating system) doesn't support the card (example reconize it) if you like.

I hope that makes sence :)