Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Games on Vista

• Please log in to reply

Bslforever

Bslforever

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey all,

I recently got hold of an old copy of Resident Evil 1 for PC and would really love to play it on my Vista laptop. I tried changing the compatibility settings, but no luck. The best i've got is when the app opens up but crashes saying that i need to run it in 16 bit or higher colour depth. Is there anything i can do? Any emulators?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

mk1james

mk1james

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Could you go to control panel, display, settings ... and change you colour settings to 16bit just before you play the game ?

Bslforever

Bslforever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Oh yeah of course. If only it were that simple, it still doesn't work, giving me the same error message.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To be honest some games just aren't going to run, in the past there wasn't all the infrastructure there is now in an OS and games developers sometimes wrote their own protocols for hardware usage and they just aren't compatible. There are a few community teams that have ported some of the more popular old games to work on new systems (X-wing is a good example), but you might be out of luck unless someone has ported it for a new OS or even maybe into flash.