Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPS?

• Please log in to reply

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I am looking for a good UPS under $60. This is for use at home with 3 Desktop Computers connected. So, I will have a need for 8 plugs, one for each Case and Monitor, Router and Modem.

Brand Names I have been looking at are:

APC
Belkin
CyberPower
Tripplite

..but, I don't know.

Thanks.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 25 August 2008 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
CrazyIvan007,

You want good but under $60? I'm not sure you'll find what you need for that price. I have this one, but while it has 8 plugs, only 4 are actually on the battery backup portion. The other 4 are surge protected, but not backed up. The more you plug in, the more draw, which means more battery power, so if you want all 8 plugs on battery backup, you're looking at a more expensive solution.

APC has a configurator here that will allow you to define what the computers are and how many you have so that you can get the best solution. Belkin has a configurator here. They offer this multi-computer model, but again, it only has battery-backup outlets, and seems to run ~$130 USD.

I couldn't find anything in your price range on the Cyberpower site that had more than 4 battery backup outlets either.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks.

I guess I was looking at one of these:

http://www.tigerdire...e...8&CatId=233

Maybe it would be a good idea just to buy 2 of them, 1 for each of my 2 main computers and part of one of those for the router and modem...

As far as CyberPower:

http://www.tigerdire...e...7&CatId=233
http://www.tigerdire...e...2&CatId=233

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 25 August 2008 - 02:18 PM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
All of those that you show there have 8 outlets, but only 4 with battery backup. I think 2 might be a better option.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sari may be typing this as we speak...but there are few reasons to have your modem on a UPS (the router sure if you're doing networking in the house) but chances are that if the power's out at your house, then the power is also off at the connection point for your modem (depending on the connection type)