Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats wrong!?

• Please log in to reply

☼ Klutz ☼

☼ Klutz ☼

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Up until recently I have been running cs:s at around 183fps. One day while playing the game crashed and since then i now get around 10-20 fps... The only error I got was a weird error from nvidia saying my graphics card is not getting enough power. i have been using this computer since Jan 2008 and have never had a problem. Why would i all of a sudden not have enough power and how come i can no longer play cs:s with decent rates? Is this a video card issue? im able to see my screen still. i have sli enabled still. idk nothing has changed except all of a sudden i can not run cs:s (or anything other steam game for that matter). What could this issue be and how can i resolve it. maybe im missing a driver or something idk. plz help. thanks.

1000watt power supply
2x nvidia 8800gt
Asus Striker II Forumla
3gb ram.

Advertisements

☼ Klutz ☼

☼ Klutz ☼

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
doubt you will need this but just in case.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I had a similar issue and my powe supply although fairly new started dropping its voltage. The easiest way to see if this is the problem is if you could temporarily swap power supplies with a known good one. I cant say for sure that its your power supply but it does seem that way. Im not qualified to look at Hijacklogs, but I dont think its malware.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Up until recently I have been running cs:s at around 183fps. One day while playing the game crashed and since then i now get around 10-20 fps... The only error I got was a weird error from nvidia saying my graphics card is not getting enough power. i have been using this computer since Jan 2008 and have never had a problem. Why would i all of a sudden not have enough power and how come i can no longer play cs:s with decent rates? Is this a video card issue? im able to see my screen still. i have sli enabled still. idk nothing has changed except all of a sudden i can not run cs:s (or anything other steam game for that matter). What could this issue be and how can i resolve it. maybe im missing a driver or something idk. plz help. thanks.

1000watt power supply
2x nvidia 8800gt
Asus Striker II Forumla
3gb ram.

Few things.

1) Perhaps your power supply has taken a dive, offering enough power to power the GPU to run, but not enough to run at optimum performance.

2) Update your driver or reinstall it for the GPU.

3) Yea, your GPU may have taken a dive. Check the temps using the program linked below (unless you already have one of some kind). Above average temps can be the first sign of a graphics card taking a dive...

4) The PCIe Slot you have it in may have went bad, try updating drivers first, if that doesnt work, try moving the card to another slot.

5) Is your computer recognizing all RAM, and at proper speeds?

A good troubleshooting program is PC Wizard. It will report RAM Speeds, Installed programs and hardware, temps, etc.... It is free for home use and can be found here:
http://www.softpedia...d-Release.shtml
NOTE: The site is kind of erratic, so Click the big red DOWNLOAD button to get to the link.

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 25 August 2008 - 03:21 PM.

☼ Klutz ☼

☼ Klutz ☼

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
wow. ok i'll check the temps and see what it says. i dont have a new power supply to test with is there another way to test the power supply.

i have the most recent nvidia drivers, but i can try reinstalling them.

☼ Klutz ☼

☼ Klutz ☼

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
gpu temp idles at 49C

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
It sounds like your card is ok, but yea, reinstall the video drivers for it.

If you have another wire coming from your power supply for GPU, exchange the plugs. Being a 1000W, I am guessing it has dual or even Triple GPU plugs.

Try changing slots.

And lastly, it may be a bad RAM stick, or slot. Download that PC Wizard and check it to see your computer is recognizing the RAM at the proper speeds and make sure it is recognizing all of them.

☼ Klutz ☼

☼ Klutz ☼

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
i reinstalled the drivers, took out my video cards and power connections. redid everything and the problem was solved. Thanks for all your help.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Nice job :)