Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Office Outlook 2003 won't receive emails

• Please log in to reply

Gords

Gords

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
send_receive.JPG
I am having a problem with my Outlook 2003, where it shows the send/receive window, it does the send properly, however, it doesn't receive anything. It doesn't give me any error messages. Any ideas for anything I can do?

-Gords

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If there's no email to receive nothing will get downloaded and nothing will appear to say so.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Go into Start - Control Panel - Mail
Open the email account and go to the settings page where you entered your username, password, pop and smtp information. Click Test Settings and see what the result is, if it fails post the error.

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

If there's no email to receive nothing will get downloaded and nothing will appear to say so.

I realize that, however, it will still show that it performed a retreive and show the check mark beside it. It's not even trying to do a retrieve at this point, or at least it doesn't seem like it.

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi there,

Try to send yourself an email from a html email servers such as gmail, hotmail or etc. And then, do that test again. Next thing is, when did this happen? have you move to another location such as a hotel? I use to have the same problem, and you have to change the outgoing port server, prolly from 25 to 2525, or 2525 to 25. something that is acceptable. So far, i have been changing it back and forth, and it works perfectly for me.

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Go into Start - Control Panel - Mail
Open the email account and go to the settings page where you entered your username, password, pop and smtp information. Click Test Settings and see what the result is, if it fails post the error.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried as you suggested, and all of the tests went through fine. No errors reported.

-Gords

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hi there,

Try to send yourself an email from a html email servers such as gmail, hotmail or etc. And then, do that test again. Next thing is, when did this happen? have you move to another location such as a hotel? I use to have the same problem, and you have to change the outgoing port server, prolly from 25 to 2525, or 2525 to 25. something that is acceptable. So far, i have been changing it back and forth, and it works perfectly for me.

I tried changing the outgoing to 2525 (it was 25) to no avail. It's on a desktop computer. The only thing I've done recently that might have done anything was trying to log on with a different login than the common one.

-Gords

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Have you try sending email out, and does it work? as in can the recipient receive it?
and vice versa (sending email from somewhere to yourself) ?

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Try this out. Maybe it helps.
1. Try to login your old login name
2. if that doesn't work, go to control panel -> mail
under user profile, make sure you have the right one selected and always use this profile.
also make sure you have it right in your email account too.

If it still doesn't help, it would be great if you can post pictures of this 2 settings screens for us to look in depth. we'll prolly just cancel/delete the user profile and re-create again. if you do that, make sure you have backups of your entire email folders.Copy them somewhere if you need to.

thanks

Edited by AmazingTrans, 25 August 2008 - 04:28 PM.

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Have you try sending email out, and does it work? as in can the recipient receive it?
and vice versa (sending email from somewhere to yourself) ?

I tried to send an email, it automatically sent it to the outbox, but wouldn't actually send it.

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Have you tried this options where go to control panel -> mail
under user profile, make sure you have the right one selected and always use this profile.
also make sure you have it right in your email account too ?

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Have you tried this options where go to control panel -> mail
also make sure you have it right in your email account too ?

I have 3 accounts that I use regularly for sending and receiving emails, and they all have the proper account information and logins.

-Gords

Gords

Gords

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I feel like an idiot. I was completely over-thinking the situation, and this morning I ran "detect and repair" and suddenly it's receiving fine. Thank you all for your suggestions.

-Gords

AmazingTrans

AmazingTrans

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
That's good. All the best in future