Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection?

• Please log in to reply

CraigD

CraigD

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

I have a bit of an issue with my internet connection. I have 2 computers, the first one has a wired link to modem and the second one is wireless. The issue im having is with the second one. While nobody is using the first computer the second one runs fine (this is while playing a game such as wow). As soon as someone starts browsing the net on the first one my latency goes thru the roof and I get major lag whilst playing (I also lose the connection completely quite often). I think this should not happen as we have a 10 meg connection, so could anyone shed any light?

Advertisements

Wanderer_of_the_Stars

Wanderer_of_the_Stars

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
First thing I suggest, is test how fast your internet speed really is.

While paying for 6MB speed from Cox, I usually got an average of 3MBs of speed. Having two devices burning down 3 MBs can be harsh and my latency would jump up to even 1000 ms on WoW.

One problem I have had in the past, is when my wifes PC was on, the internet would bog down alot. Turns out she had a crapload of malaware on it sucking our speed dry. A quick clean easily fixed this solution.

But if you really have 10 MBs of speed and your systems are clean, then something is wrong. I want to find out now. The first thing that comes to mind when people have speed and d/c issues is the ISP. But they cant be the problem to everything now, can they?

CraigD

CraigD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its a cable connection and is pretty reliable, I download alot of stuff normally at about 1.2mbps, which seems very fast to me (im not very techie, but I have been downloading for a good while). The first computer is always on if that makes a difference, its just when someone starts browsing on it that I have issues!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would do some Speed Tests
Do it on both machines without the other one browsing, note the speeds, then do one test while the other is browsing and vica versa. See how much different the results are.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

as we have a 10 meg connection

I believe this would be a 10 Megabit connection not a 10 MegaByte connection.
10 megabit = 1.25 megabyte
So the download speeds your getting are normal.

Is world of warcraft the only game you play? Or do you also play other games?

How is your network 'set-up'? Do you use a router at home?
Just keep in mind that if the other computer is downloading stuff that you might notice it in your game play.

Regards,
Olrik

CraigD

CraigD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

as we have a 10 meg connection

I believe this would be a 10 Megabit connection not a 10 MegaByte connection.
10 megabit = 1.25 megabyte
So the download speeds your getting are normal.

Is world of warcraft the only game you play? Or do you also play other games?

How is your network 'set-up'? Do you use a router at home?
Just keep in mind that if the other computer is downloading stuff that you might notice it in your game play.

Regards,
Olrik

No, its a 10 megabite connection! WOW is the only game I really play online. The network is set up thru a router, with the computer downstairs going straight into the modem and the one I use mainly wireless (its a Belkin router and and card in the PC). It works perfectly most times, but annoys the crap out of me when it doesnt! I know with the connection speed I have it should work!

just ran a speedtest and got 8.27MB from the computer using the wireless. Download speed was 1244kbps and upload speed was 432kbps

Edited by CraigD, 26 August 2008 - 09:57 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

No, its a 10 megabyte connection!

I'm sorry but most people don't understand the difference between megabit and megabyte and the ISP's make advantage of this.

with the computer downstairs going straight into the modem and the one I use mainly wireless (its a Belkin router and and card in the PC).

How many ports does the modem have? 4?
If the router is only used for 'making more ports' or 'switching' as we call it then I suggest you turn off the Firewall options on the router.

Regards,
Olrik

CraigD

CraigD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

No, its a 10 megabyte connection!

I'm sorry but most people don't understand the difference between megabit and megabyte and the ISP's make advantage of this.

with the computer downstairs going straight into the modem and the one I use mainly wireless (its a Belkin router and and card in the PC).

How many ports does the modem have? 4?
If the router is only used for 'making more ports' or 'switching' as we call it then I suggest you turn off the Firewall options on the router.

Regards,
Olrik

How do I turn them off on the router? Thanks for your help by the way!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Could you answer my other questions too before I do something that might harm the network? :)

Regards,
Olrik

CraigD

CraigD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
sorry, yes it has 4

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Ok, you should be able to log into your router and disable the 'firewall' settings. This -should- have no negative effect on the network. If it does, turn it back on.
Secondly, are you playing WoW on the wireless machine? If so, a wireless connection -can- be the cause of it. I had it myself when I was playing WoW.
Check that you are having a decent signal strength.

Regards,
Olrik

CraigD

CraigD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ill give it a try! thanks for your help :)

CraigD

CraigD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh and yes, I am playing WoW on the wireless machine, the signal strength is excellent though and works most times.

Wanderer_of_the_Stars

Wanderer_of_the_Stars

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Have you done speed tests?

As for your speed, I think you have around 1 MB not 10. Not very many ISP's offer 10 and can even impliment it. Just note that if you have 2 systems running on a router with a connection of 1.2 MBs, this is halfed for each device meaning you only have 1/2 a meg while playing WoW. This will give you around 400-800 laterncy.

And anything around 300 latency + on WoW sucks :'(