Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant burn CDs anymore.

• Please log in to reply

andy7

andy7

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys, I'm a newbie, I have a Dell 4400 2yrs old, with XP Home edition, with a _NEC NR-7900A CDR, I was able to read and burn cds until about 2 weeks ago. When I try to burn a CD now i get an error message that says there is some unknown error and cannot burn anymore. Don't understand what went wrong. I don't know much about computers and will appreciate your help. Thank you.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try System Restore, choose the oldest available restore point from the calendar. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore. If still no good, try the writer in another PC to establish whether or not the writer is faulty, or borrow a writer and fit it in your PC in place of the NEC. If the borrowed one works, It must be the NEC writer that's faulty. They are not expensive these days so get a new one.

andy7

andy7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hi Pip, thanks for replying so soon appreciate it. I'll try what you suggested.

andy7

andy7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Pip, its me again. I discovered new development in my burning. I am able to burn only with Juke-Box but no other application. But at the time of Finishing the CD, Juke hangs up and when I try to end the program with Task-Manager the computer hangs up. So I have to restart, but when I check the CD, the burning is perfect without any problems. Also when I am trying to Shutdown to Restart computer I get a dialogue saying "DirectCD" is saving data. Now what do I do? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
direct cd is part of roxio, jukebox is different

It sounds like you have a conflict going on (perhaps even with windows built in cd-burner.

What I would do.

Uninstall roxio easy cd creator and direct cd
reboot
Uninstall jukebox

reboot

install one or the other and update it to the most current version.

andy7

andy7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Pip ol' Buddy, I removed both JukeBox and Direct CD. Then without installing either Juke or DirectCD I dragged and dropped files using Windows Explorer and the files burnt perfectly - Yay ;) . But when I tried Right-Clicking on the files hoping to use "Send To CD Drive", the option wasn't there. How do I get the option back?

Another small thing I'd like to add, whenever I start my Puter and everything looks good ready for me to start working, I get this small dialoge box saying "No Floppy disk in Drive A" and the floppy drive lights up, Whats up with that? :tazz:

Edited by andy7, 05 May 2005 - 08:39 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
open My Computer, right click the drive, Properties and on the Recording page ensure that 'Enable recording' is checked.

If that is not available or has no effect

go to Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services

Look for IMAPI CD Burning and make sure it has 'Started'
If not, double click it and set the Startup Type to Automatic. click
Start and see if it then starts, but you may need to reboot

andy7

andy7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Pip, this may sound weird but this is what happened.
I did the IMAPP thing and set it to automatic and rebooted then tried burning, I once again got the "Cannot burn CD" dialogue and on top of the window was written "DirectCD". So I Re-installed Roxio DirectCD (which came with my Dell computer), and rebooted and tried burning. I got a message saying "This program is not compatible with XP", I clicked on the help link which took me to the Roxio website for an update which is supposed to set it right, but the link takes me in circles and does not download any update, the only other option at the website was to Upgrade to a higher version which costs 69 dollars.

Finally I removed Roxio for the 2nd time and reinstalled Jukebox but again the computer hanged up. Please Help.