Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think I have killed my pc

• Please log in to reply

Dizzy blonde

Dizzy blonde

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,
Please would somebody be able to help me? This is a long post but I don't want to leave anything out so it is all here.

I originally posted here with my problems http://www.geekstogo...go-t204224.html and it was suggested the hard drive was failing. I though I would be able to tackle installing a new hard drive myself with the help of my Dad, how hard can it be?? (God I am thick at times :) why do you never get hindsight when you need it??)

I purchased a seagate 160GB hard drive 8MB cache 7200rpm (it is the seagate ST3160815A) and installed it on Sunday. The pc booted up and we tried to install windows xp using the (7) hp recovery discs and encountered several problems including the BSOD which said 'a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your pc. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA If this is the first time you have seen this screen, etc.'
The error code it then gave was ***STOP 0x00000050 (0xE1C72660, 0x00000001, 0x80467348, 0x00000001)

The pc was turned off (using the power on button on the front) and turned on again. the installation carried on from where it left off (the second disc) without a problem it went through the other 7 discs and then it came up with the message
'problem inextracting process:' then lots of files kept coming up but to start off with they were adobe, macromedia, etc but then it started coming up with the 1386 files and there were a lot missing, I kept clicking 'ok' then it came up with the BSOD again and the cosde this time was ***STOP 0x00000000 (0x00000028, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804301373)

the pc was switched off and restarted again.
then the message 'NTLDR is missing, ctrl, alt and delete to restart, so it was restarted several times and the same message came up each time so we booted again and went into the bios and set the bios to boot from the disc (cdrom) rebooted the pc and it started preparing the recovery partition, then it started completing the recovery partition and then we got the BSOD again:
MEMORY MANAGEMENT ***STOP: 0x0000001A (0x00000781, 0xC030D6CC, 0x00000008, 0xE168D0D4)

we gave up as we were out of time but later I spoke to a relative who said the recovery disc is a 'mirror disc' (??) and that I might need full installation discs to put xp on. so I had a brainwave and another one of my friends has some original discs, so as I already have a licence I have borrowed the XP home disc.

Yesterday I turned the pc on and put the disc in, partitioned the new hard drive (didnt have that option when I was using the recovery discs) and the installation started then the message came up that it cannot copy the file ks.sys, retry didnt work so I clicked OK (thought I would get it off the internet when the rest had done) but then loads of other messages kept coming up - modem.sys, parport.sys and some others, so I decided to quit and restarted just incase it was a glitch. I rebooted and started again (after cleaning the disc again to make sure there was absolutely no dust or dirt on it) and it was going really well and I got much further until it told me 'the file esent97.dll was not copied correctly. retry after cleaning ok?' so I took the disc out again, cleaned it again and retried, then it went a bit further (to 38% this time) then it told me there was a problem with 'sprio600.dll' (I cannot remember what the problem exactly was :) as I didnt write it all down, but I kept retrying and it would not do it, sdo I quit and rebooted without the disc and went straight into the bios and made sure it was set to boot from the cd, then to boot from the hard disc (and made sure it recognised the new hard drive - it did)

I then tried to do it with the recovery discs again and had BSOD twice. the first was the memory management again and the second was after problems extractin files from 1386 (again) the 2nd BSOD was 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' I rebooted and got a black screenw ith white text: 'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

This is now a bit beyond me so I phone HP this morning (on 3 of the 'normal' phone numbers that I could find) and nobody would help me unless I phone the 60p per minute number - great customer services isnt it??. I do not want to spend a fortune on calls to them to find out this problem cannot be resoloved and I cannot keep spending money on a pc 'just to see if it is this that is wrong'

So basically what I am asking is this: can this problem be resolved without spending too much more money on it or am I better off giving up and buying a new one (bearing in mind I have already spent approx' £100 trying to get it running properly -this is what really cheeses me off, the fact that I haven't much cash and I dont want to throw any more money away)

Am I correct in thinking that the original licence for xp that came with the pc can be transferred to the new hard drive as the other one is kaput and it is for the same pc? I dont want to be doing anything illegal afterall. (the original xp discs have to go back tonight as my frined need it tomorrow)

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

The number of different BSODs you are getting suggests you may have a memory (RAM) problem.

Do you have a floppy disk drive on that computer? You'll also need access to a floppy drive on a working computer, plus a blank (preferably new) floppy disk.
If so, go to the link below and download memtest86. Make sure you get the one entitled 'Pre-compiled package for floppy (DOS-Win)'

memtest86

Once download, extract the files to a folder. Insert a blank floppy and double click the 'install.bat' file and follow the instructions on screen.

Once the floppy has been created, insert it into the HP machine and power on. If the system doesn't automatically boot from the floppy, then you'll need to go into the bios and change the boot order.
If it boots ok, let it run for a good couple of hours or until it reports any errors.

If you don't have a floppy drive then you can create a bootable CD containing memtest instead. Let me know if you need to do this and I'll try and talk you through it

BTW the Windows license shouldn't be an issue as you've only changed one piece of hardware

Edited by Samm, 26 August 2008 - 05:32 PM.

Dizzy blonde

Dizzy blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Samm,
thank you. There is a floppy on the 'broken' pc but on the other pc and my husbands work laptop there unfortunatley isnt a floppy drive so I need to make a bootable cd, so some help with that would be appreciated.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The easiest way to get memtest86 on a CD these days is to download or order an Ubuntu live CD they have memtest86 on the disk and you just boot from it and select the memtest86 option from the menu, a Linux live CD is also useful for troubleshooting other problems as it has allot of nifty stuff of its own for fixing problems and testing.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ has all the links you need to download Ubuntu or order a physical disk(free if you want to wait a couple weeks but you can pay for it to be next day delivered).

Do you have a normal windows XP CD as well, I personally don't really like using "recovery" disks where I can avoid them, if you could get a copy of a normal windows XP CD that would be better especially if you could get one with all the updates already on it up to SP3 if you know someone who has a copy you can get a copy(windows install disks can be legally copied as the copyright just covers installed operating systems) or you used to be able to order them from Microsoft directly it used to be free but I think they charge for delivery now. You can download and burn your own copy from MicroSoft SP3 website.

Windows licences follow the computer usually that is considered to be the motherboard and CPU but as long as you are only using it on one computer at a time MS aren't all that fussy how you use your licence as long as you have one so you are ok.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

There's no need to go downloading a whole operating system just to get memtest!

I wrote a guide on this, it contains all you need to know. Just remember that you'll need to substitute the newer version (2.01) name over the older version used as an example in the guide.

Here's the link to the guide.

Cheers

Troy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
thanks for that link troy - the guide looks really useful.

Dizzy blonde - either use troy's guide to create the memtest CD or follow Warriorscots suggestion about the Ubuntu Live CD. The Ubuntu CD is very useful to have but personally I think it's probably overkill at the moment...

Let me know how you get on creating the CD, booting from it & running memtest.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

thanks for that link troy - the guide looks really useful.

Thanks, Samm! I wrote that one ages ago, and ever since I've hardly needed to refer to it... :)

I might consider updating it sometime, as Nero is now in version 8 (that's when I had version 6).

Although BurnCDCC is still an excellent option, and probably the simplest.

Troy

Dizzy blonde

Dizzy blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you for all your replies. I have created a cd and tried it and still get the black screen with white text: 'windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

so I thought I had done the cd wrong (not sure why I thought this) so I made another, then tried with the flash pen (after changing the bios to boot from this first) still same message and I have tried it with the precompiled bootable.iso file too and still getting the same message - yes I did remember to change the boot order in the bios -I might be blonde but I'm not that blonde :)

Dizzy blonde

Dizzy blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
After searching on the hp site I came accross something I didn't see the other day, so the following info may be of some help:
http://h10025.www1.h...;product=234995
I did the command prompt as the recovery console was not listed and when I put 'diskpart' in I got:
Microsoft DiskPart version 1.0
Copyright <C> 1999-2001 Microsoft Corporation
On computer: MININT-JVC
DISKPART>

The first link doesnt really help me any further so I then found this: http://h10025.www1.h...n...319&lang=en
so carrying on from where I was (DISKPART>)I typed in:list volume
and the following came up:
volume Ltr label Fs Type Size Status Info
Volume 0 E DVD ROM
volume 1 F TESTHP17 CDFS CD ROM 582MB
volume 2 C HP_RECOVERY FAT32 Partition 4667MB Healthy Boot
volume 3 D HP_PAVILION NTFS Partition 13GB Healthy

DISKPART>

Am I correct in thinking the pc isnt aware there is now a 160GB hard Drive in there?

Edited by Dizzy blonde, 28 August 2008 - 12:58 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, think I may know what's going on here...

I don't know why you can't boot from the memtest CD - can only assume it hasn't been created properly. Maybe you could test it on another system to be sure?

The hard drive: from what I can tell, your motherboard doesn't support 48bit LBA drive translation. This means it won't recognise drives larger than approx 137GB correctly. This would probably account for the problems you've been having. Luckily Seagate provide a jumper on the hard drive to allow you to overcome this problem :

If you remove the hard drive and look at the rear of the drive, you'll notice 2 rows of pins next to the power connector. Most of the pins will be for setting the master/slave configuration but 2 of them will be for limiting the drive capacity. Check the label on top of the drive to identify which pair of pins this is. (They may be marked 'CLJ'). With Seagate drives I think it's normally the 2 pins nearest the power connector (see below) but check.

o o o o [--power--]
o o o o [connector]

Once you've identified the 2 pins, you need to place a jumper cap over them.
Reinstall the drive inside the computer and power it on. Go into the bios and check that the drive is recognised correctly in the bios (i.e it should be recognised as approx 130GB).

If so, then attempt the recovery procedure again. Let me know how you get on.

Dizzy blonde

Dizzy blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you, I will have a go at that tomorrow and report back with the results.

Dizzy blonde

Dizzy blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK, I tried with the jumper caps (after checking on the seagate website) and it was no different - still couldn't get xp on there. I put the memory checker onto a floppy whilst I was at my Dads (he has got exactly the same pc) and it wouldn't work, so my Dad is paying for the pc to go to the local repair shop as we both got quite frustrated trying to sort it out.

I would like to say a BIG thank you to everybody who has tried to help me - it is appreciated and I will let you know what the problem was when I have collected the pc and found out (I don't know about you lot but it bugs me when I don't find out the cause of a problem)

Thanks again.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thanks for letting us know. Hope you manage to get it fixed ok at the computer shop :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, good luck that the shop will get it sorted for you.

Did you follow the tutorial exactly to burn the disc? Did you find it helpful at all? Is there anything you think could be added or changed?

I'm always looking for constructive feedback. :)

Troy