Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot run regedit.exe and cmd.exe

• Please log in to reply

Bear48

Bear48

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a problem running regedit.exe and cmd.exe from "Run" nor double-clicking using windows explorer in the "WINDOWS" folder. I get this pop-up's window mentioning that "windows cannot found c:\windows\regedit.exe..." when i open the windows folder, regedit.exe and cmd.exe is at all the times there! I'm currently using ESETNod32 v3.0.669.0 with zone alarm security suite v7.0.483.000. Need some help here, thanks. :)

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello Bear48

Have you ran any virus/malware scans. This is a common cause of your problem. Go to the link below and run #275

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

That should restore the programs..Also you can try running system file checker

Go to run and type sfc /scannow you will need to have your windows disc

If still doesn't work I recommend that you read the post in the malware removal forum posted below

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Bear48

Bear48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your interest, but i was still unable to both process including "msconfig.exe". The only way is to reinstall my windows i guess...huh...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 69,964 posts
Not necessarily :)

Please follow all of the steps in this section of the Malware Forum. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum. Should you post in that forum please do not respond to your own topic. Our Malware Staff look for topics to help out in that have no responses. The Malware Forum is very busy with many more requests for help than we have volunteer helpers, so please be patient. If you have not had a response to a topic after 3 days then please go to the Waiting Room and read the pinned topic for instructions.

Bear48

Bear48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Finally i got it at the very last minutes. It was "Hupigon13" Trojan. I use Spybot SD to run a full scan and it detects my problems.
Here is my scan log file:

Logs removed

All my probs is fixed now, msconfig, cmd, regedit can be executed normally.
Thanks you guys :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 69,964 posts
It might be worth visiting the malware forum to be sure

Bear48

Bear48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts