Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to be able to play DVD's in WMP 11

• Please log in to reply

Jan LaFata

Jan LaFata

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm a little confused about this whole codec and decoder issue. I just want to be able to watch DVD's on my Windows Media Player 11. But I have Vista Basic x64 and it supposedly does not come with an MPEG-2 decoder.

So I did some Google searching and was to Elecard Software. But I couldn't see an MPEG-2 decoder that works with Vista x64. Unless the one listed, that says it works on XP, also works on Vista. I did find a free Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder from Softpedia.com: http://www.softpedia...PEG-Codec.shtml

The decoder did work and I was able to play my DVD but I had no sound. After that, I did a little research and found that I might need something called an AC3 Filter, which I understand is needed to play sound on certain DVD's and players. Would you concur with that?

Also I have heard that I should stay away from those all-in-one codec packages, as they can cause more trouble than they're worth. I would rather do that too, if I can, I've seen the breakdown of codecs that get installed, and I just don't think that I need or want them all, gunking things up.

Any other help would be surely appreciated.
Jan LaFata

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Vista Basic doesn't come with an MPEG-2 decoder that you'd use for playing DVDs, however it's as standard on Home Premium and higher.
If you have access to something like PowerDVD, that includes everything you need.

Jan LaFata

Jan LaFata

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for replying. What does Power DVD do exactly and does it work on Vista x64?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PowerDVD is commercial DVD playing software that comes pre-installed on a lot of computers. You can typically pick a copy up for next to nothing from any decent retailer.

VLC should work on 64-bit Vista though and its free.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

RickR_WINDOWS-TEAM

RickR_WINDOWS-TEAM

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Jan, I would like to help out with all the confusion. In case you’re wondering, MPEG-2 is a licensed software that cost money, and is built into the cost of Windows Vista Premium and Ultimate, that is why they cost a bit more, as for Basic, it costs less because certain additional 3rd party licenses are not included. With that said, I could recommend you upgrade to Vista Premium as your easiest option for this issue. As another possible solution I have checked compatibility between many of the top DVD software types out there and most are listed as “Unknown” for 64-bit Vista. However When I checked out the” CyberLink Power DVD” site they have a little Vista Support Section. I would begin here and see what they say, even use the Vista Check tool to see if it will work. http://www.cyberlink...?Source=support . You might have trouble finding the 3rd party software that supports 64-bit Vista at this time and I encourage you investigate the upgrade to Premium. If you need further assistance I would love to help.

Rick
Windows Vista Outreach Team

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
RickR,

Can you kindly contact your lead at MicroSoft?
I for one would appreciate it not to see this kinds of posts anymore.
Upgrade to Vista just for a few missing codecs? Come on. :)