Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nforce 4 Interference

• Please log in to reply

nation15

nation15

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys,

Recently I fried my gaming computer, I am now on an old rig, with an ASUS A8N5X motherboard and an old AMD processor. I live and breath my computer so I want to make this work until I can afford to dish out $600 for a new motherboard and processor. Here's my problem though, I had a 9800 GX2 (EVGA) that I was using in my old computer, when placing it on this board, the NForce 4's fan does not allow my 9800 GX2's fat [bleep] to get all the way into the PCIe slot. Is there any way around this? A cheap low profile fan more than what is on there, or a possible way to extend the PCIe slot or anything, I'm reaching for any kind of answer because I don't want to play on my old GeForce 7950 :)

Advertisements

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
They are called Riser Cards or Riser Boards:

http://www.newegg.co...tion=riser card

Edited by CrazyIvan007, 26 August 2008 - 01:18 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
That's an interesting link, CrazyIvan... Do you think any of those specific search results will be helpful?

I'm not so sure myself...

Edited by troy, 26 August 2008 - 07:10 PM.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I didn't put much effort into it, but those first 3 may be helpfull.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
No, they're not helpful at all. The only one that is compatible is the second one, but that's just going to turn it sideways, so it's not going to be high enough anyway.

That said, the specs say only for use with a specific motherboard, so no go anyway...

But it was good thinking.

------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP - I think you'll just have to play on the older card in the meantime.

Cheers

Troy

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Can he get a more slimline fan for the GPU Chipset?