Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help.. video display issues

• Please log in to reply

bacord

bacord

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I built a computer about a month ago. I didn't run into any major problems until recently.. I was moving and set it up in my new apt. I turned it on with no problems. Shortly after plugging in my external harddrive my display went blank (my external doesn't have any issues I have tested it with my other computer).
I have tried everything I knew to try troubleshooting the issue.
I took out everything besides the essentials (taking out a video card, tv tuner card, etc). I took out my ram and tried each one by one. I hooked up the cable to the onboard video output. I tested the monitor cable with another computer. I checked out how to reset the cmos (I took out the battery and reinstalled it later). I took out the processor and put it back in along with most other connections I found.
When I boot the computer the fans and case lights turn on, which leads me to think that there isnt a power supply issue. However the dvd drive doesn't seem to have power (the lights dont turn on and it wont eject).
Any suggestions?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Incase this helps..
AMD X2 Athlon
XFX GeForce 8200 motherboard
AMD A64 X2 5000+
XFX GeForce 8500 GT USC Video card
600W Power Supply
3gb ram

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Have you completely followed all of the instructions in this sticky?

Cheers

Troy