Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Software Issues

• Please log in to reply

carlotin

carlotin

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Greetings GTG,

A couple of months ago I attempted to troubleshoot what I thought was a malware issue. The only thing I discovered- with the help of greyknight- was that it in fact wasn't malware, but some type of software or Windows issue. Thread can be seen here for reference.

In a nutshell:
  • I have a serious freezing problem. Once the laptop enters screensaver mode, it stays there. I'm kind of captive on the computer once I turn it on, because it will freeze if I leave it idle.
  • The following file, C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\gdiplus.dll, is either corrupt or a virus. I cannot perform a scan of my system with any adware/malware program, because as soon as it reaches that file, it freezes.
  • The following file, C:\System Volume Informat...}\RP175\A0018261.dll, causes the same reaction as the first one I mentioned.
  • "Unable to reconnect all network drives". I see this all the time, now.
  • I'm missing many of the skins to icons that used to have them.

I don't know exactly what's going on, but my system used to be great and now has decided to suck. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to start...run...type in msconfig...click on start up tab..uncheck anything having to do with the hp printer or imaging or photo software...they will still work ...they just won't load with windows..
no joy...
try uninstall the HP printer software completely...

Edited by happyrck, 27 August 2008 - 09:19 AM.

carlotin

carlotin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
happyrock,

Thanks for the response. I configured my startup and unchecked all hp printer and imaging software. I also uninstalled the HP printer software completely. What's great is that the C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\gdiplus.dll file is gone and does not cause my system to freeze when the AVG Virus scans it. AVG can finally do a full scan and I fortunately do not have any threats.

However, my laptop still freezes when left idle. I'm assuming it may have to do with the screen saver (which I turned off), but I honestly don't know.

Also, I'm FULL of adware/spyware. I attempted to do a full scan with SuperAntiSpyware, and after it found 349 threats, it froze on the following file C:\System Volume Informat...}\RP175\A0018261.dll. I don't even know where that is.

I'd like to re-install that printer software. Should I delete all of those hp printer folders that remained post uninstallation?