Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc to tv

• Please log in to reply

philly30

philly30

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a desktop pc, i have a router and i am looking to get new HDTV . what i want to do is access my desktop pc files, including photos and videos mainly and view them on my tv and access the internet on the tv. the last part is not a must because i have my ipod touch to access the internet throughout my house if i have to. i know there are several devices out there, including the appletv, xbox and tivo, but what is the best choice and won;t cost me a ton, i want something that can display most videos types and has a decent user interface, the xbox can only display wmv files it seems, the apple tv is limited also, there must be something out there that can disply most video and photo files

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Do you need another unit connected to the TV, what about just using your TV as a second monitor to your PC?

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
the computer and the tv would be in different rooms and to far away from each other

Edited by philly30, 27 August 2008 - 07:53 AM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok, Ive run VGA 50 feet with not signal loss, but anyways.

My setup is with an XBOX 360. A new one without a hard drive is $200 with I think is $300. A hefty investment but it works well. I use XP Pro on my machine so I use TVersity on my computer to sync with the Xbox. If you use a machine with Media Center Edition it syncs alot easier.

If there is a less expensive solution Im not too sure. But Ive run both setups Ive described. Sorry if its not much help.

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
yeah i have vista with media center but i thought xbox only plays wmv files

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Nope, its pretty good at playing most types. Mine are usually WMV, AVI, and DivX but check out this link to their FAQ, it goes through their video / audio support.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1430

i'm not endorsing that product specifically as i have no real use for such things...but this is basically a wireless video adapter that can send the output from your pc over to the TV...

this of course brings up an issue...if the PC is 50' from the TV....then any time you need to do something on the PC (like pause the DVD or i dunno play a game) you're going to have to go to the computer in the other room....

the only real way to get the computer to be able to use the TV as a monitor and be able to work on the computer is to have them both in the same place

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
He makes a good point about the distance. I failed to mention that I had a bluetooth mouse and keyboard that covers my house, but its kinda an unreasonable setup.

philly30

philly30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Ok, Ive run VGA 50 feet with not signal loss, but anyways.

My setup is with an XBOX 360. A new one without a hard drive is $200 with I think is $300. A hefty investment but it works well. I use XP Pro on my machine so I use TVersity on my computer to sync with the Xbox. If you use a machine with Media Center Edition it syncs alot easier.

If there is a less expensive solution Im not too sure. But Ive run both setups Ive described. Sorry if its not much help.

349 plus another hundred for the wireless adapter,. the cost of a new tv and this is going to be to much for me

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
It steep for sure. Unfortunately the only option I see thats reasonable is to have your computer next to your tv and use that. Without that being an option Im not sure