Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Help! new graphic card!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello, i have my computer witch is 2 years old..msi motherboard..and i wanted to buy a new graphic card..right now im running Nvidia 5200fx ..
i bought a brand new ati sapphire 520mb GDDR3 AGP ...i bought AGP because the nvidia 5200fx is agp..so i guess they match..well i plug it in..start comp and i get a black screen..
icant even enter bios or safe mod with it..cant see anything..right now im back to the 5200fx..please help! what to do! i dont have an onboard graphic thingy..dont think so..no other slot to put my screen..! help ty.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You are getting the black screen simply because you are trying to run a ATI card on Nvidia graphics drivers. You need to delete the Nvidia drivers from Device manager, Shut down the computer, then install the ATI video card. When you reboot the computer you should get some very lousy 16 bit standard windows graphics on your monitor. Now you install the ATI graphics drivers and reboot the computer.

Please read the instructions on the ATI graphics card as you may have to install the drivers before you install the card. You can do this after you delete the Nvidia graphics drivers. I don't think you have to do this but read the instructions to make sure.

The real problem is if the ATI card is bad and does not work. If so, shut down reinstall the Nvidia graphics card, then the drivers for the nvidia card, and return the ATI card for replacement where you bought the card.