Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Headphone Problems

• Please log in to reply

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello To anyone Reading This

Problem: When i Plug Headphones into Laptop Instead of the Sound coming from Headphone Speakers It comes from the laptop Speakers , Never Happened untill now... Never used to do this...

However , if i unplug the Head Phones i get no sound.. as if the music is not playing... ( very unusual ) , never come accross this and never heard of this problem / issue arising befor this time

BTW , No error Messages occuring , And music play's As Normal

Using Windows Media Player 11

Tried to google the problem , and got no where ( i am guessing it is not a very " Common " problem lol )

Laptop is a Toshiba ( Model # MSAT010AIV05 ) , If that helps at all...

Tried two Separate / Different Headphone Sets.. No different ( i am thinking faulty port maybe )

Just checked device manager to see if any problems arising in there and nothing seems to be wrong...

Any help to help solve this issue / Problem would be Greatly Appreciated

PS: Tried to Speak 1-1 in Livechat ( gtg Irc Chat room )

<PC-Tech> id say to take it to a tech, and have them check it out, HOWEVER... My latop is out of warrenty ... and iam woundering weather it is worth them lookin at it , or just buying new laptop lol j/k

Edited by Anthony19, 27 August 2008 - 08:35 AM.

Advertisements

PC-Tech

PC-Tech

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
my part was only up till the caps (<+PC-Tech> id say to take it to a tech, and have them check it out.)

PC-Tech

PC-Tech

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
has this been moved yet, i believe its been 3 days?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...click on start...run...type in services.msc...press enter
scroll down to plug and play...set it to automatic...start the service...reboot

Anthony19

Anthony19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I had a look at the services running , plug and play service is started and set to " startup Type Automatic "

Was already running so it cannot be that :)

Thankyou for your response though , i didnt even think of it myself lol

Thank you once again , response well appreciated...

Anthony

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go back to services...make sure WINDOWS AUDIO is set to auto and the service is started

Edited by happyrck, 05 September 2008 - 06:36 AM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Sorry to make this abit more difficult, However.. i am in adelaide at the moment for about 2 weeks , i may go home on the weekend and if i do , i will check the windows audio is set to auto and started...

Sorry once again but i am 350km's + from the laptop at the moment

Thank you for quick response time ,and sorry to have slowed this topic down...

Anthony

Anthony19

Anthony19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Thank You For reply happyrock

Windows Audio Service

Set to startup type " Automatic" and status says its" started" , Log on as " Local system "

Sorry to have Withheld the Reply response time :)

Hope To Hear From Somone Soon

Thank You For Your Time

Anthony19

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the control panel...sounds and audio devices...audio tab...get me a screenshot...
you do that by pressing the control key and the prt scr key at the same time...then open paint and click inside the empty space and press the cntrl and v key at the same time...

Edited by happyrock, 13 September 2008 - 06:44 AM.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Sorry about the delay...

I have Travelled alot over the weekend and was not close by to a computer

Had trade school on monday..

Had to direct my girlfriend over the internet and Mobile ( Phone ) on how to go about capturing the screenshot and where to take the screenshot

Hope it is good anough for you :)

Once again sorry about the hold up , and hope this screenshot can assist you in what you are needing / looking for

Thank you for your time and efforts so far , i am very grateful of your willing assistance

Anthony19

PS: Sound playback only has one device being Realtek HD Audio Input

Attached Thumbnails

• Audio_Tab_Screenshot.jpg

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I think its the jack itself thats gone bad...The switch inside the jack is what turns the speakers on and off.... If it is tweaked somehow your only recourse is to have it replaced.

PC-Tech

PC-Tech

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

I think its the jack itself thats gone bad...The switch inside the jack is what turns the speakers on and off.... If it is tweaked somehow your only recourse is to have it replaced.

Back to my advice :)

Anthony19

Anthony19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Yeah , i Was leaning towards that in the first place :)

Now you have mentioned it , youve just confirmed my thoughts :)

i understand that when you plug in the headphones it " Switches the circuits " from speakers to headphones... and it is simply not doing that...

Thank you for your time and efforts anyway

Do you know roughtly what i would be looking at " Price-wise " in order to have the jack replaced/fixed ??? ( as i would have no idea lol, Never needed to have had it replaced )

And ... is there any inperticular reason it would have failed ??? , im guessing old age " Plugging in and out so many times has worn it out ? "

Thank you all ( Pc-tech & Happyrock ) for your patients and efforts ( also time ) helping me out

Anthony

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
call several local computer repair shops in your area...ask them for a quote to replace the jack..

Anthony19

Anthony19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok , Thank you very much for your assistance and valuable time

Consider this topic closed...

Thank you once again

Anthony