Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Diagnostic Tests = "FAIL"

• Please log in to reply

2MuchDuctTape

2MuchDuctTape

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had to perform some RAM Diagnostic tests using the Windows RAM Diagnostic tool here: http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp. Basically, all of the tests came back as FAILED (except for the "Stripe6" tests, which were successful)

I have two 1 GB DDR2-PC2 4200 ram sticks, for a total of 2GB RAM. I upped this from my original 512MB RAM. Windows recognizes the RAM upgrade. I have noticed the computer is faster as well. I am not sure why these test results show a failure, and what a test "failure" really means? Could it be my motherboard going out? I bought the RAM sticks from CompUSA a while ago so I won't be able to take it back if there is something wrong. It is the correct style of RAM because I used Crucial. My PC is an IBM R52 laptop.

The REAL reason I am doing this is because my GF wants me to play WoW with her. I've had tons of problems with the game, and the WoW tech said to either check my HD for errors, or check my RAM for errors. I'm seeing the RAM having errors now :)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First I would get a second opinion on a serious computer medical issue such as this by running another diagnostic. You may find some diagnostic hardware at the motherboard or machine maker's site and you can always download memtest86 to a floppy or burn it to a CD, those are different versions, and run it. Also take one stick out, run the program, if it passes swap with the other stick and run it again. In almost case only one stick will be bad. Also check the operating voltage of the stick and make sure that voltage is correct in your BIOS settings. Incorrect voltage can cause problems.

2MuchDuctTape

2MuchDuctTape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

First I would get a second opinion on a serious computer medical issue such as this by running another diagnostic. You may find some diagnostic hardware at the motherboard or machine maker's site and you can always download memtest86 to a floppy or burn it to a CD, those are different versions, and run it. Also take one stick out, run the program, if it passes swap with the other stick and run it again. In almost case only one stick will be bad. Also check the operating voltage of the stick and make sure that voltage is correct in your BIOS settings. Incorrect voltage can cause problems.

Thanks Tyger, I'm going to try to stick swap idea. How do you test voltage? I can buy a voltmeter, but I've never tested voltage on computer equipment.

I'm just worried because the Windows RAM diagnostic said that if my RAM isn't the problem, then it's my motherboard :) I'm also going to call the RAM manufacturer and see what they can do. My laptop (IBM R52) was made in 8/2005 so it is out of warranty.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You don't test the voltage, you look on the ram stick to see what the voltage should be, say 2.5v, or go to the maker's site for that part # and see what it should be. Then you go into BIOS setup and see what the ram voltage is set to.

2MuchDuctTape

2MuchDuctTape

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
UPDATE: removing the sticks worked. One of them still gave me all errors, the other one passed all the tests so I found the bad RAM stick. I contacted the RAM manufacturer and they are going to take it back. Wooo!