Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats the difference between IRC and regular IM apps?

• Please log in to reply

statictech

statictech

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
What is IRC and how is it different from IM, what are the reasons anyone would use it instead of IM etc...

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
IRC (internet relay chat) is how people communicate via chat rooms. If you log onto an IRC server, you can join different chat rooms and talk to people without needing to know who they are or what their IM addresses are. Our Live Chat on this site is an example of IRC. If you were to join our chat room, there would be a list of people that are logged in, and there might be a conversation going on. You could join in on the existing conversation, or ask a question, or even just say "hi" and see if you get a response. IM, or instant messaging, is really more like a phone call - you're typically talking to just one person in an IM window (unless you conference several together), and you need to have a specific address in order to contact someone. I use both IRC and IM. In IRC, I join a number of chat rooms, or channels, that are dedicated to providing computer support, as well as some that were created just for the purposes of friendship. Once in the room, I can talk to anyone else that's there. I also use IM as a means of talking to specific people, especially when I haven't joined any chatrooms.

statictech

statictech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you, that was much more understandable than wikipedia. :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Good to know! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
"Sari-Pedia.....might not have as many articles, but all the grammar is right and it looks good in the process"

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Haha. :)