Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD ater upgrading cpu

• Please log in to reply

miken46

miken46

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
After installing a new cpu and adding memory I get a blue screen when I hit shutdown or restart. Stop 0x0000007E If you need more information I will do my best to provide it.
Thanks,
mike

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Can you provide more information on make and model of your motherboard, the new processor and the RAM you installed. You can use Everest Home Edition to get these information.
Can you also run memtest to test the RAM you currently have, there could be errors.

Here's a guide troy made to help you get memtest.

Just remember that you'll need to substitute the newer version (2.01) name over the older version used as an example in the guide.

Here's the link to the guide.

Cheers

Troy

miken46

miken46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Again,
Motherboard-Abit Kn8 Sli
Processor-AMD Athlon 64x2 3600+
Memory-2 Ultra ult 31664 1024 MB

The error code I gave you was wrong. It is an IRQL not less or equal. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the processors and swapped out the memory sticks to no avail. F8 will not work to get me in to try last known good configuaration. I don't understand how to run memtest. I,m A little thick.

miken46

miken46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry, The error code is 0X0000000A

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
You have to make sure that your boot up sequence has the CD-drive booting up first. Here's a tutorial I found online, it could be different than yours since you have a different motherboard. Just make sure that in the BIOS, the 1st Boot Device is the CD-ROM and hard drive as 2nd.
Once you finished the tutorial troy created, insert the CD in the CD-drive and restart the computer (if you get the BSOD then just power off and power it up again), there would be an indication on the screen that asks you to press a key to boot from the CD so just press any key and the memtest program will start automatically. Let that run for a few hours (most people would recommend overnight).

From my research though, this error code (0X0000000A) can be anything but I found this Microsoft site for troubleshooting. Try out some of the suggested fix if your RAM does not turn any errors.

I've also heard it could be ZoneAlarm, if you have it installed, uninstall it and see if you get any more BSOD. Also if you have a NIC card (network card) installed, update the driver.

Hope any of that helps.
Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 29 August 2008 - 09:48 AM.

miken46

miken46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you very much I'll try all you suggested.
Mike

miken46

miken46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Kamille,
I got memtest and ran it for a couple hrs with no errors. I'll run it overnight.I keep running into a fix that says to disable any bios memory like caching or shadowing but I can't find it in the bios. Do you know what they mean. Also I know that somewhere in this dang machine is a list of errors. Can you point me to it. I appreciate your help so far. thanks'
mike

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

I keep running into a fix that says to disable any bios memory like caching or shadowing but I can't find it in the bios.

I am not sure where this option could be but you can try finding a memory caching or something like that in the BIOS.

Did you try the fixes from the Microsoft site?
There's also this site that outlines the causes and fixes.

Try updating recently and/or all installed hardware.

miken46

miken46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Kamille,
I think it was in services somewhere. When I disabled all sevices it went away but I could never narrow it down. I was at my wits end working on it for 2 days and a night. I ended up doing a repair install of XP and that cured it. Best thing I ever did. I'm running better and faster than I have in a long time. Still have a left over problem with outlook express but thats another thread. Thanks for all your help. I learned alot that I'm sure will come in handy.
mike