Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't want to do this

• Please log in to reply

ChiTownArkie

ChiTownArkie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've had so many issues in the last week. Spooler subsystem app not working, other apps freezing, lost desktop themes, not being able to access "printers and faxes" from the CP, on and on. HP tech finally said that the best thing to do would be a clean wipe, reinstall XP and start over. I've backed up my folders/files and am ready to do this (for the 2nd time in a year). Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm sure there are registry problems and I've run 4 different malware/anti-virus programs. I haven't paid for TrueSword which swears it can fix spooler issues but I'm pretty sure it's another mal-ware program and for $40, I don't want to get stuck. Maybe the 40 will be well spent if it fixes everything. Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Nothing like a Tech Support person recommending a reformat/reinstall

Sure makes their life easier and save time on the phone!!!!!!!!!

FIRST....UNINSTALL anything you have added AFTER the system was working fine...

If they are a problem now they ALWAYS will be.....FACT

If you can get the system stable again after the uninstall then CAUTIOUSLY start again

Get the LATEST drivers..install ONE at a time and TEST THEM before you add the next one

IF .. however you have an unstable platform and you cannot stabilise it then ask yourself how ONE software product will undo ALL of that angst.............I doubt it ever will

If you still are unstable then for sure a clean install is the best way to go.....run some checks first though and be certain all the components are OK

Check memory and other hardware components...plenty of benchmarking software out there for that

When you are happy no little green men live inside the case then reinstall..........

Good Luck

Baudy! :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

Spooler subsystem app not working, other apps freezing, lost desktop themes, not being able to access "printers and faxes" from the CP, on and on.

Honestly, a reinstallation of Windows would fix all of these problems, make your computer faster, and get rid of all the extra gunk you might have, malware or otherwise. Most tech support (well speaking for myself and my colleagues at Dell CBG) don't recommend an OSRI to get you off the phone - we recommend an OSRI because you have too many problems that are frankly too hard to fix, or because it is the best resolution. We also recommend an OSRI for malware issues, but that's because we aren't trained in malware removal and may mess up your system more (see VundoFix) - but that's beside the point.

So once you OSRI (because that's what you're going to end up doing) take care of your computer. And if a problem comes up, fix it then rather than letting "Spooler subsystem app not working, other apps freezing, lost desktop themes, not being able to access "printers and faxes" from the CP, on and on." pile up on you.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I fully agree with The Admiral. Many times you just need a glance to decide that trying to repair a system is a waste of time. It's a sound professional decision.

Whatever you decide to do: scan your backed up data with at least one good antivirus (my choice, without any doubt, is Avast) and one good antispyware, like Malwarebytes which is recommended in the malware forum of G2G. Do that before you reintroduce them to your computer.

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK..OK..OK..enuf oreddy!!! :)

I apologise to every Tech Support Person that I have cast nasterstions...oops aspersions upon ;)

I also do computer support..ON SITE...face to face... and have had to clean up after some of the not so professional of your species. :)

I think we all agree any repair will be far less satisfactory than a clean install given the potential trash already accumulated in the system :)

have a good day :)

Baudy! :)