Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows update downloaded service pack 3 - what do i do?

• Please log in to reply

brandonroy

brandonroy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Windows automatic updates downloaded SP3 today but I've hesitated to install it. The little yellow icon is in the taskbar waiting for me to install. The reason I haven't is because I've heard of some problems with booting. and i dont know how to deal with that.

i have an emachines AMD sempron processer. Running windows XP home edition.

So what should I do? Should I install or no? How do I get rid of the icon that's waiting for me to install?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I would not install SP 3 with the AMD processor...been lots of problems...
with that said...some people with AMD processors have had no problems at all...
this is my 2 cents worth...there will be other opinions ...
if you do decide to install it make sure restore is working and it actually works and create a restore point
just prior to installing it...

Edited by happyrck, 27 August 2008 - 06:30 PM.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello brandonroy,

If not having any problems would probably stick with sp2. In my opinion there isn't much improvement by having sp3. I am one of the people with an AMD processor and had no problems YET.

But if you decide to download it please read the article below first.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

You can even download the standalone installer from the link below.
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

If you decide not to install then you can prevent Windows from notifying you about that particular update

http://technet.micro...y/cc757568.aspx

brandonroy

brandonroy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well I don't think I want to install it. How can I get rid of it? It's sitting there waiting to be installed

steveviate

steveviate

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello there i have just had the same problem as well among others but here is what some person at microsoft told me to do via email since this was after instaling the (KB936929) winxpservice pack 3 hope this hels in some way
cheers
steve

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Assisted Support. As I understand it, after installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), the system cannot be booted into.

here is what was said and asked

Before moving on, I would like to confirm if the system is preinstalled by the computer manufacturer.

If this is the case, I would like to explain that this issue can occur if the image of an Intel-based computer is deployed on a non Intel-based computer.

Considering the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps to check if we can make any progress:

Suggestion 1: Disable the Intel PPM service using the relevant command:
=============================
1. In Safe Mode, please go to Start, Run, and type CMD. Click "OK" to open a DOS like command window.

2. In the window, please enter the following command:

sc config intelppm start= disabled

3. Press the Enter key to execute the command.

4. Restart the computer to check the result.

If the issue persists, let’s try to modify the relevant registry keys to disable the IntelPPM service

Suggestion 2: Modify registry keys to disable the IntelPPM service
==========================

1. Please go to Start, Run, and type REGEDIT. Click "OK" to open Registry Editor.
2. In the left pane, please locate the following key:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm

3. Right click the above key and choose Export. Please save the file as backup in .reg format. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can restore the registry keys.

3. Highlight the above key and double click the subkey named "Start" in the right pane.
4. In the open window, please change the value to 4.
5. Click "OK" to save the change.
6. Quit Registry Editor and restart the computer to check the result

hope all is ok now good luck

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
Brief Description
Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system. This white paper summarizes what is new in Windows XP SP3.for the details go here