Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Restarts

• Please log in to reply

gwtwins

gwtwins

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have an issue with an "older" machine. Specs:

Intel P4 2.66 Gzh with 533 Mzh FSB
1.0 GB of DDR memory (512 is 333 Mzh and 512 is 400 Mzh)
Windows XP Pro SP3
SB Audigy sound card
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro video card

Recently, a few weeks after SP3 when I go to start-->turn off computer--> turn off the computer will go through it's shutdown routine and then immediately re-boot. I want it to shut down and off. Until about 3 weeks ago it was doing so!!

Anybody got any ideas??

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello gwtwins,

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK .

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you try to shutdown you should get an error message with details. This will help determine the cause of the problem.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hello gwtwins,

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK .

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you try to shutdown you should get an error message with details. This will help determine the cause of the problem.

Tried that and it just rebooted with no problems are error messages what so ever. Not visible ones anyway. Is there a log file somewhere I can check to see if there is an error message?

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
You can check the event viewer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

You can check the event viewer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Any thoughts to this possibly being a trojan of some sort? This is a computer that my kids use and they do a bit of websurfing, playing various website based games.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Are you having any other problems other that the shutdown problem? What service pack did you upgrade from? Trying to rule out any software or hardware drivers problem that could be causing the issue.

Here is a good troubleshooting guide.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Are you having any other problems other that the shutdown problem? What service pack did you upgrade from? Trying to rule out any software or hardware drivers problem that could be causing the issue.

Here is a good troubleshooting guide.

The link to the guide didn't get included with this post. I'm trying a lot of things right now like updating the drivers, updating Java, checking for windows updates, running spyware scans, etc. I'll let you know if anythign suspicious comes into the picture!

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Sorry here is the link.

http://www.aumha.org.../a/shtdwnxp.php