Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer shuts down after running 'heavy' things

• Please log in to reply

samir1475

samir1475

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a customized computer with a asus p5vdc-mx motherboard and an intel pentium 4, 3.066GHz CPU
everytime i do something like have a voice call on msn or like today tried to install the xp service pack 3 update after a few minutes my computer shuts down and when i try to start it again there is a page saying 'cpu overheat' and shuts down again i usually have to wait like 4 or 5 minutes before successfully starting it again. Could someone help me figure out what it is thats causing this, could it be the motherboard, cpu, or the power supply or what? thank you so much

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It sounds like there is a CPU cooling problem. You can check to make sure that the fan is running properly, that the inside of the machine is not dirty and that there are no cables obstructing the air flow around the CPU. Also make sure that the case fans are working and that the air intakes are clear or dust/dirt. Harder to check is to make sure that the heat sink is properly mounted on the CPU.

CrazyIvan007

CrazyIvan007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Was thermal paste used on the processor?