Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In need of Help - Reinstalled windows xp

• Please log in to reply

hehasnoidea

hehasnoidea

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone,

I recently was infected with a bad virus and decided to reinstall windows xp. I really didnt know what I was doing and i deleted the C drive partition and started a new one. My computer starts up and everything fine, but on my desktop there is nothing(!), and my wireless internet is nonexistant. What do I need to do in order to verify my windows in genuine or whatever and get my computer back into 'working' order? Sorry if this seems very obvious but I amd still in a bit of shock at nothing being on my desktop.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello hehasnoidea,

It is normal after a reinstall of winxp that there is no icons except for the recycle bin.

Now you will need to install the drivers. If your system came with the driver disc you can load them or you can download the proper drivers from the manufacturers website.

What is the make / model of the computer?

hehasnoidea

hehasnoidea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gateway is the model, my computer did not come with any disks. I paid 100$ or so for the xp reinstaller. So updating the drivers is the next task? I am having problems connecting to the internet for some reason, it doesnt detect any connection when it was working fine prior to the reformat. Was it right of me to completly delete the old c drive partition and install a new one?

hehasnoidea

hehasnoidea

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I keep getting errors when i try installing these different driver updating programs because i cant connect to the internet. \and being that my model is gateway and my acess to another computer is toshiba i cant download the gatea\way drivers.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
You will need the network drivers loaded before you can connect to the internet. What model# is the gateway? You can got to the gateway website and download the drivers that you need and burn to a disc or use a usb flash drive.

http://support.gatew...tep.asp?Tab=All