Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TELL ME HOW TO TAKE MY LAPTOP EVERYWHERE

• Please log in to reply

maxmom97

maxmom97

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I want to take my laptop in the car, to the park, everywhere. How do I do that and be able to connect to the internet, check email, etc?

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi maxmom97 and welcome to the site!

You will be able to "take your laptop anywhere" to surf the Internet (open web pages, check mail, etc) when your laptop is able to detect a wireless network signal called Wifi. To be able to do this, your laptop will need a wireless network adapter. Most laptops have this built in. Common places with Wifi signals are libraries, schools, universities and cafes. Depending on the owner of the network, you can access the Internet for free or by paying them. Not all places have wifi signals all the time.

There is also a service from telecommunication companies that provides you with a USB adapter and with that adapter, you attach it to your laptop and you can access the Internet as long as there is a cellphone signal of that telco company. I don't know what telco companies offer this outside of my country. In my country the Philippines, we have this service from Globe where we can access the Internet using a USB stick they provide for as long as there is a Globe signal.