Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Erased

• Please log in to reply

CWT

CWT

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Dear Geeks to GO -

I have two internal 400 gig hard drives installed on a Dell 2.4 gig machine. The PC is running Windows XP and is 5.5 years old. Everything was fine until recently. I started up and one of the two hard drives was erased or crashed. I am not sure what happened.

When I go into Disk Management (located in the Computer Management section), the hard drive is listed as "unkonwn, not initialized and it is unallocated. I installed the drive a year ago and use it frequently. It had two programs on it.

The last thing I did on the drive was update my Quicken program.

Help!
- CWT

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
couple of options... if there is crucial data on it pick up a data recovery program like Getdataback ( google should find it ) just make sure you read the site and get the right one for your situation. you could also try the manufacturers site and see if they have a diagnostic program available for that drive.... they MAY even have recovery software....