Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPGRADE QUESTION

• Please log in to reply

SOLOBAGGINS

SOLOBAGGINS

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a quick question for all you tekky boffins out there.

My current PC is as follows:

Mobo - Asus skt775

CPU - Intel Q6600

2Gb Corsair 6400ddr2 800mhz memory

Asus 512Mb GEF 8800GT graphics card

HD - 74Gb Raptor 10000rpm

Vista home edition 32bit

I know it's a pretty lean machine due to it's small HD - but I use it just for games.
However after loooong savings - I now have the option to upgrade. I was thinking of buying another 8800GT graphics card to double up - but would it be better long term to buy 8800gtx?
Also I like the sound of the ASUS striker extreme mobo. Would this motherboard offer a much better gaming experience over the skt775?
Forgive my lack of knowledge on these things - but I like to try and keep my PC up to date for blistering performance. I know I'm a slave to materialism

thanks in advance

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
What's the size of your monitor and what resolution do you play at? Since you have an SLI board, I would suggest just to get an 8800GT to do an SLI because it beats the 8800GTX. 8800GTX is EOL now and it usually costs a lot, the 8800GT can be had at around $150 now.

Kamille

SOLOBAGGINS

SOLOBAGGINS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
My monitor is the Samsung Syncmaster 2032 20" resolution 1680 x 1050

I already have the 8800gt 512Mb graphics card. I am wondering if it is better to buy 1, 1Gb 8800gtx card or better - or double up and have 2 x 8800gt 512Gb cards - and some advice on an upgrade to my motherboard if required.

cheers

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I would suggest grabbing another 8800GT and run SLI. What exact motherboard do you have now, to compare it with the Striker Extreme?

Troy

EDIT: What PSU do you currently have? Make and model, please...

Edited by troy, 01 September 2008 - 08:46 PM.

SOLOBAGGINS

SOLOBAGGINS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for getting back to me.

My motherboard is the ASUS SKT-775 S/L 1333FSB and my PSU is Xcase power plus 750w. Just a note - I looked in the Xcase website and i could not find the PSU I bought, it may have been discontinued. The PSU I bought was their own make.

www.xcase.co.uk

Cheers

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

I strongly discourage you from using that PSU to power an SLI system, they are poor quality.

Change this to something much better, such as a Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Thermaltake (Toughpower)...

And that motherboard information you have given me is not complete, I'm still looking for the model number. Something like the P5Q or similar...

Troy

SOLOBAGGINS

SOLOBAGGINS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Motherboard is the P5KC - I hope this what your looking for.
I also had a feeling you'd say that about the PSU. I'm looking at the corsair TX750W. Would that do?

SOLOBAGGINS

SOLOBAGGINS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Also if my motherboard is adequate and you do not recommend an upgrade would OCZ 2GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Value (2x1GB) Dual Channel DDR3 Memory work with this motherboard? Or would it be better to go 4gb with ddr2?