Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Contact Issue

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a user who is using a Personal Address Book on a shared folder. This way as long as he closes outlook at work he can open it up at home and vica versa. Now if you leave outlook open and try to open it a second time, it wont open outlook cause the file is in use.
This is a very bad configuration. But the user does not want the contacts from his PAB in his standard contacts. Is there a way to create another set of contacts, that he can access from multiple locations at multiple times like the normal contacts?
Right now if he loses VPN connection to the shared folder outlook fails because its looking for the PAB, but without that the Contacts cache and can be used.

The ultimate question is how can I give him a second set of Contacts, he manages, no one else has access too, but wont prevent Outlook from opening if there is no network connectivity.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe by using a shared folder with exchange for the contacts? and only assigning him shared permissions to it?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
What if I just created a new Contacts under his mailbox. Then when he connects to the server theywill be there, and it will be in his mailbox so only he will have access. This way with cached mode he can still use it without a connection?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
6 of one half a dozen of the other....hehe about the same thing

no idea why he wouldn't want that set of contacts in his normal contacts view either...i mean what's the point of multiples?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
One, he signs my paycheck, and two Im going to push for one contacts, but I think he has contacts he wants to keep seperate. :)

Another question, someone (me) just deleted all my contacts from my outlook, how can I get them back, they arent in the deleted items and exchange is set to retain for a couple days. I just did exmerge but the contacts came out blank.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
someone (you) should kick themselves in the butt

http://www.pcmag.com...,1736275,00.asp (probably what you already tried)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246153 that looks fun

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
My thought was I occasionally sync one of my desktops at home, which I just happen to do the other day. So Im going to open it (offline) export the contacts, sync online and re import them. That should fix it, lol

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Because I know you wont be able to sleep tonight without knowing the outcome, my home computer still had my contacts and was able to copy them out, then connect to exchange and copy the back in.

I really wonder how I make it somedays :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I really wonder how I make it somedays

to be honest...i'd hire you...if not just for the daily comedy

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter