Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless laptop can connect to wireless network but cannot access the

• Please log in to reply

Johnny27

Johnny27

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I will be extremely grateful to anyone who can help with this. I'm not sure I can even describe this problem, so you helpful folk out there may have to ask me some questions. I'll try my best.

I share a house with other students, we have a Netgear wireless router and a Virgin media cable modem. Until recently, all problems I've had with connectivity have been resolved by turning off the router, counting to thirty, and turning it back on again. But a much weirder problem has developed recently. I'm sure the fault is with my laptop (the other two computers here are unaffected, and I am using the correct SSID), but I can't isolate it.

The laptop in question began giving the message "limited or no connectivity" about a week or so ago. The IP address is assigned dynamically and was coming up as the 169.154. etc autoconfig one that cannot access the internet. I tried moving the laptop around the house, nearer to the router for example, and it did not solve the problem. Then the problem seemed to disappear as if by magic, and I had a connection to the internet, but a strange one. In the "view available wireless networks" window, the green bars indicates a good signal strength, and in the text I am told that "you are currently connected to this network", but the larger text in the top-right (above the signal strength bars) remains as "Not connected". And, this connection kept being lost, and I had to reconnect many times during a session online.

Now the problem has developed to the stage that I am still given conflicting messages about the connection (as described above) but both browsers I have (Firefox and IE) do not display webpages, just as if there was no connection at all.

I have tried using a static IP address (192.168.1.7) which again indicates connection to the network but no access to the internet at all. I connected the laptop directly to the modem with a cable, which solved everything - but this is not a practical solution as the router is in the hall and my room is upstairs.

Any help will be hugely appreciated!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well my first thought was a winsock issue but if you can connect via direct cable that leaves it as a wireless problem not an internet one. It could be that your wireless card is going bad or that someone or something has changed settings either in your computer or on the router.... it could also be the wireless software that connects to the wireless network is faulty.......

Sorry I can't be more help..

good luck