Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Wireless Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

chuckracer

chuckracer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a very weird wireless problem. System is Dell Inspiron 6000, XP Media Center with SP3 OS, Intel ProSet 2200BG wireless card, Broadcom Lan card. Wired lan connects and gets its IP from DHCP in Linksys router everytime. If I disconnect the wired lan and change to wireless it will get its IP from DHCP on bootup everytime. I'm using the latest Intel software to control it. If I turn the card off and then back on it hangs on acquiring IP address or if I try to repair the connection it does the same thing. The weird part is that if I run ipconfig it has gotten an address from DHCP and will surf even though the wireless icon in the tray is still trying to acquire an IP address but after a time it says no connectivity and then won't surf. If I open the properties of the wireless network and then just kit OK and close it the icon snaps to its connected state. DHCP service is always running and WZC service is always off. Makes no difference if firewall is on or off. Have tried all the normal fixes to no avail.

Exact same condirion happens if I use windows zero configuration for wireless management.

I am beginning to think SP3 has something to do with it.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance, chuckracer

FIXED: Somehow Network Location Awareness service was set to "disabled"

Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem.

Edited by chuckracer, 28 August 2008 - 07:59 PM.

Advertisements