Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP3

• Please log in to reply

rommy320

rommy320

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Windows automatically downloaded SP3, but I haven't installed it. I would like to know how to remove the download. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Extrmlyfubar

Extrmlyfubar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
In XP sp2 the temporary install files go to ...
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\

(%windir% is typically C:\Windows or C:\Winnt)

rommy320

rommy320

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I know nothing about computers, what do I do after i get there? I need this step by step, please!

Extrmlyfubar

Extrmlyfubar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Using Windows Explorer click on My Computer - then your C drive, then you simply navigate down the folder list to Windows - click to open Windows - then navigate down to SoftwareDistribution - click to open - then navigate down to Download

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why do you want to remove it? it's just going to download it again once it sees that it's missing....just don't install it...

Extrmlyfubar

Extrmlyfubar

• Pip
  • 5 posts

why do you want to remove it? it's just going to download it again once it sees that it's missing....just don't install it...

Not if you disable Automatic updates ... I always disabled automatic updates on all the XP machines that I work on, I download and apply only those that I feel are necessary for the computer to function properly. I advise the client and make them aware that they can turn it back on or down any new updates at the own risk. It's been my experience that the "Automatic Update" service causes more problems then it fixes. If M$ puts out any updates that I feel are necessary I will down load and manually install them myself … you can get updates from one of the sites listed below …

http://www.softwarepatch.com/

http://www.techspot....tweaks/updates/

FYI: There are confirmed reports of M$ forcing updates on users that had auto updates turned OFF in the past year so if you want to totally kill auto updates you need to disable the services “Automatic Updates” AND “Background Intelligent Transfer Service”.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

FYI: There are confirmed reports of M$ forcing updates on users that had auto updates turned OFF in the past year so if you want to totally kill auto updates you need to disable the services “Automatic Updates” AND “Background Intelligent Transfer Service”.

they've never forced a service pack though

Not if you disable Automatic updates

not everyone wants to do that

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you have the updates (including SP-3) downloaded click the yellow shield. A menu of two options will show up. Chose to install it manually, not automatically (the bottom option of the two. I don't remember the exact wording). The list of updates ready for installation will show up. Uncheck SP-3 and continue. You will be asked if you wish windows updates not to download the update in the future. Click yes (or whatever it is). If, at any time, you wish to install SP-3, you can download it from Microsoft.