Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Price Check

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

HikaruShirou

HikaruShirou

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hello GtG~ I wasn't sure if this was the right spot to post this... please feel free to move it if it's wrong. My question concerns a laptop I just got from my BF's brother. He just got a new iMac so he gave me the old laptop he got from another friend. The laptop is a COMPAQ Presario 1700 Series CM2080. It's in great condition (except the left mouse button, it doesn't click). It has virtually nothing on it (it has Micrsoft Office 98) and would be pretty good for me to use for school. Except when it comes to the specs, it's only got about 20GB HD and 512MB of RAM. I've got the charger, all the papers, CDs and even the box it came it. It also comes with a Floppy Drive (I don't think anyone even uses them anymore though...). That's no good for college (not for me at least). So I want to sell it for money towards a newer laptop but... I'm no good with pricing, can someone tell me what they think it should go for?

Specs in List Form
20GB HD (roughly, it says 18)
512MB of RAM
DVD Drive
Floppy Drive (not the small ones)
Extra Battery
Charger Plug
Paperwork & CDs

Edit: I should mention the reason this laptop is no good for me is that I'm taking graphic art classes and the RAM isn't powerful enough to handle programs like Photoshop, Illutrastor or Flash (right now it's just PS, but in the future I might take Illustrator and Flash). I also am unsure if it can connect to the internet (I tried to make a network but didn't get how to do it really...).

Edited by HikaruShirou, 28 August 2008 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why isn't it fine for college? For typing and what not, it's fine, just get a new mouse. 20Gb is plenty, if its Windows XP buy a pen drive to store stuff on and plug it into USB port and it acts like floppy disks as well. For typing an essay in Word and what not you don't need anything too powerful.

HikaruShirou

HikaruShirou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

That would be good for typing yes, but I'm taking Photoshop, and in the future might take Illustrator and Flash (like I did a few years ago). And while the size is decent enough to hold those, the RAM is horrid. I actually installed Photoshop CS3 into the laptop and it runs REALLY slow. I guess I should have mentioned that in the first post, I'll edit it in.

HikaruShirou

HikaruShirou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

bump for an answer please

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just bought my wife a Compaq Core2 Duo 2.0 laptop with 2 gigs of ram, 200 gig HD, for $700. I would not give you even $200 for your laptop. I'm not trying to be mean here, just that if i can buy a cheap Compaq laptop brand new today for $400 with a dual core 1.73 processor, 120 gig HD, DVD-RW, why would i buy your old computer that may have problems. can't run Vista, and generally won't run any new software.

Laptops should be considered as throwaways. While they are great for having a mobile computer, and very good for business sales people. The real value is not there as just like desktop computers, they are obsolete after they are a year old.

My 2¢

SRX660

HikaruShirou

HikaruShirou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes, I understand. But in order to GET a new laptop I need money. Right now I have no job and throwing away the laptop seems a waste to me when I know there's SOMEONE out there who might want it for parts or whatever. That person just happens to not be me. But I got an answer from another friend of mine. And that's all I wanted. I wasn't offering it here. Just asking for a price check.

Edit: A moderator can close this now.

Edited by HikaruShirou, 08 September 2008 - 06:02 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
your best bet would be e-bay or maybe something like craigs list.... or maybe even an add in a local paper but again that isn't going to be worth much... maybe look at ebay and see if others are selling them and how much they get for them....

ahorner

ahorner

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I wouldn't pay more than $200 for something like that... Then again, I probably wouldn't buy something with low specs like that.