Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ILLEGAL TO LEGAL....

• Please log in to reply

TROPICALRAINS

TROPICALRAINS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought a computer with a illegal copy of windows xp installed. I was able to use my pc with no problems until I tried to upgrade my present IE and messengers. Recently I was given a LEGAL cd with windows xp. I have tried to install it using the repair function, but i got a mesaage that said it cant be repaired and would have install freshly.
I do not have a backup system and i don't want to lose any of my programs and files. I think that the legal copy recognizes that my present copy is illegal so it wont let me repair. Is there anyway that i can get round past this without losing all my data and reformatting my hd?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You cannot convert a non-genuine copy of Windows to a genuine one without a fresh installation which would mean wiping the machine.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you'll need to contact microsoft directly to get this resolved....they can walk you through the steps of actually "reactivating" windows with a new product key

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This can be done if your legal CD is of the same version as the illegal. Dsennette is correct, I did it a few times already. You call microsoft and they e-mail to you a tool that you use to activate XP with the new key product. five minutes and all is set.