Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote desktop woes

• Please log in to reply

mrmarbles

mrmarbles

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tried to get remote desktop to work, mainly to access my desktop from my PDA.

The only problem that I cannot figure out is this...
Where is the second half of this window? I am supposed to have a second box there that would give me the option of allowing connections... but I can't figure out how to get that box there. Help?

Posted Image

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is this XP Home or XP Pro? From your skin I'd say you're using Media Center which is a variate on XP Home in different colours.

XP Home machines can send invitations for Remote Assistance but they have no support for Remote Desktop which is the other element you need - this is only available in XP Professional.

Realistically your best bet is not to use it at all and find something else such as for example pcAnywhere or LogMeIn or any other alternative which work regardless of what versions of Windows are being used.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or if it's a local network kind of deal just use VNC if your PDA can handle VNC that is

mrmarbles

mrmarbles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Its XP home, but I have the media center theme. Probably should have clarified that.

And I will have to try one of those programs. I just want to use my phone as a media remote, to control iTunes, DVDs, etc.

Thanks for the help!