Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer crashes on games and some videos

• Please log in to reply

OneNightStand

OneNightStand

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got my computer Christmas 2007. Built it from scratch (I'm beginning to regret it too.)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
abit IP35 Pro motherboard
ATI Radeon 2600xt
4 gb ram
Windows XP 32 bit
HP monitor

It crashes all the time. So frustrating. The crash is always the same too. All of a sudden without warning my screen goes black and turns off. Then my monitor reads "Monitor going to sleep" and the light goes orange like the computer is off. The sound from whatever crashed it still goes on for around 30 seconds and then begins an endless stutter "duh-duh-duh-duh" until I hard reset my computer.

It will crash on a quicktime video, but not a divx video. It will crash on every video game I try, even games from the 90's but somehow plays one game from 2006 fine. It crashes on Second Life

I was playing Assassin's Creed today, I was very surprised when the game loaded without crashing. But about 8-10 minutes later it crashes. Now however when I start it up, like everything else, it immediately crashes on loading. Same thing with Call of Duty 4, I started it up the first time, played for 5 minutes, it crashed, and now it crashes instantly upon loading.

Some games I can get through the menu screen and it crashes when it loads game play, some just crash as soon as they start up.

I recently reformatted my computer, on the old machine even changing the resolution from windows display would crash my machine. Somehow that got fixed but all my problems are still here.

I've updated all my drivers, and tried alternative 3rd party drivers too.

Any ideas on what to try?

Advertisements

Philip Kingsley

Philip Kingsley

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Your motherboard does not have graphics core... so u cant disable GPU.
Just get me the details of the Power supply or SMPS for ur system. You neet atleast 400watts SMPS or power supply. Check that!!!

Edited by Philip Kingsley, 01 September 2008 - 01:16 AM.