Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Extensions Not showing

• Please log in to reply

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

this problem has started bothering me recently: I cannot get XP to show file extensions. Every time I click Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known filetypes", nothing happens and when I view the Folder Options again, that checkbox is ticked again! Neither is the checkbox for "Hide protected system files" (just below) remembered. I don't have separate view settings for every folder and other checkboxes are remembered when I press Apply.

Please, could someone help me out on this?

Hai

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Are you using an admin account on the machine?

After you uncheck the box, click Apply, then click Ok

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm an admin, or at least the account from which I am doing this, is an admin account. I clicked on Apply and OK, but the settings still didn't get remembered. In the end, I just gave up and reverted to using a Restore Point, which fixed the problem.

Sorry I didn't pursue to fix this problem. But thanks for your help anyway.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Sometimes a restore point is the solution :)

Glad its working for you.