Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bootup help

• Please log in to reply

drsajdyk

drsajdyk

• Pip
  • 6 posts
please help, When I try to boot computer up it freezes on the intel motherboard splash screen. I checked hard drive on another computer and it seemes fine. ram is also good. when I try to get to the bios or to start in safemode the screen goes black and i get a cursor blinking in top lefthand corner. since it does respond i dont think the keyboard is a problem. I also changed the battery to no avail. Im down to thinking it might be the power source or I burned up the motherboard. I know it is getting some power though because the fans work and various lights come on. Any Ideas?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Do you have a Windows install disk that came with the computer?

drsajdyk

drsajdyk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No All i have is my xp disk I assembled the computer from old parts but i cant even get it to boot from the xp disk.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Can you go into the BIOS and check to see it recognizes the hardware.

If it isnt displayed try pressing Esc, F1, F2, F4, F10,F12, or DEL
They seem to be the most common keys to get into the BIOS.

drsajdyk

drsajdyk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
whenever I try to get to the bios the intel splash screen disapears the screen blacks out and i get a blinking cursor in top left and nothing else it goes no further this is why i assume the keyboard is fine because it reacts to it . I have also tested it of course.btw tyvm for the help im kinda stumped.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Can you turn the Caps lock, Num lock and Scroll lock on and off? Do the lights come on and off?

It maybe a keyboard error in the end because some systems halt the boot on keyboard errors. Do youhave another one you can swap with just in case?

drsajdyk

drsajdyk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
actually I may have discovered a combo of problems ... I just got it to boot up. I Was thinking that maybe since I know in the past the computers don't seem to like the keyboards that run off usb the one i was using actually plugs into keyboard slot, I thought to disconnect the usb mouse and printer i had hooked up. then when i rebooted it went past the splash screen and said their was a media failure check cable. so then i checked my cable going to my HD and noticed (pardon my stupidity) that one of cables has one pin in the middle missing and my computer has the same pin missing in the same spot.. but the wire I had on it didn't have the one pin missing, although they look the saqme our the 2 types different. anyway iswitched to the wire that matched and then it booted up the rest of the way. I think the mouse (wireless usb) was causing it to freeze and I trying to fix it may have switched HD wire with different one thus compounding my troubles. So question is do the different wires matter ?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I dont beleive the cables should matter, some manufacturers populate all pins some only the required pins. Not all connections require all the pins available. They leave some for future use.

I have seen powered USB devices prevent computers from booting. Does anything that is usb also plug into the AC adapter in the wall.

drsajdyk

drsajdyk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the printer does and i undid that at the same time i did the mouse .

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The best thing is to try with them unplugged and do one at a time until it stops working, then you know what it is.

drsajdyk

drsajdyk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
definately the printer going to investigate further tyvm for all your help :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Your very welcome, have a good day :)