Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 3000 - Overheating issues

• Please log in to reply

ASO

ASO

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone.

I have been trawling through various websites trying to find an accurate (if that’s possible) answer to my laptop overheating problems. I’ve come to conclude that Acer Aspires do have a general tendency to overheat, but thought I’d post this question anyway.

My Aspire 3000 overheats on a regular basis when it performs certain tasks. I have installed several temperature monitoring programs and I find the best one to be SpeedFan. Looking at the temp now I have an idle 62oC for Core, for the HD it’s 48oC and another reading of 39oC for Temp 1 (whatever that is).

When performing certain tasks, the temp goes crazy. should I have to unzip (using WinRar) a file for example, say 300mb, the temp shoots up within seconds. I’ve seen it jump to the late 80’sC and the very second that I pause the unpacking of the file, the temp drops back down again instantly. When I unpause it and the unpacking continues, the temp shoots back up instantly. The same if I do a virus scan. The temp can get over 90 and then when I pause, it drops back down to 65 or whatever. Seems to be that when it gets to about 94oC, the laptop shuts itself down.

Is this a normal thing to occur? Granted, I know that the temp would rise when the CPU usage is increased, but to rise within a second to such a high temp and then drop again back to normal just as quick sounds like something is really wrong. I’m a complete novice when it comes to this kind of thing but I thought it sounds like a malfunction somewhere as if the temp was truly that hot, it would remain that hot.

I have downloaded the latest BIOS from the Acer website and have flashed it. Still the same problem.

Would it be worthwhile to install a temperature control program to set the shutdown temps higher so my machine can actually stay on when I do a virus scan or play a game (even very low spec ones)?

Below is the details of the laptop in case this is of any help (taken from the Acer Monitor program):

Product Name: Acer Aspire 3000
Processor: Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor 2800+
Total Memory: 1280MB
Video Memory: 64MB
Bus Speed: 400MHz
Form Factor: None
Mother Board: Lugano M

Thanks in advance if anyone can give me a little clue as to what the problem(s) might be.

Advertisements