Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard Died A Death?

• Please log in to reply

Rustleup

Rustleup

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Last night my computer powered off randomly and now will not power up at all. When I press the power button I get a slight flicker but then nothing. I removed all the components one-by-one and still nothing. I then removed the JPW1 motherboard connection to the power unit and the comp powers up (but without graphics card etc). Does this mean the motherboard needs replacing, or is there something less expensive wrong with the comp?

Cheers

Motherboard - MSI MS-6565

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
These seems more like a power supply unit. The best and most inexpensive thing to do is if you can "borrow" one for a few mins to try it and see if it powers up. What happned is it may be still putting out a little bit of voltage, but not enough when your video card is plugged in. Also they are about 30-50 bucks online.

Rustleup

Rustleup

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's what I thought first of all, so tried another power unit and the same thing happens.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Unplug all the hardware, hard drvies, take out all memeory disconnect everything. Try and boot, see if you get any beeps, listen closely they may be quiet.

Rustleup

Rustleup

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nope, no beeping at all.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you have switch power supplies with a known good one, than I think the mobo might be dead. Im not sure what else it could be.