Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Want to upgrade CPU

• Please log in to reply

mk1james

mk1james

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi

I have a Medion titanium MD8383 motherboard.
I have used a program called PC wizard 2008 to find out what socket my computer supports and it says, "Socket 775 LGA"

I have an intel pentium 4 CPU in there at the moment, running at 3.40GHz and 2.5GBs of RAM, i know i can upgrade upto 4GBs of RAM if thats any help.

I would like to buy a quad core at the moment from PC World, click here to look at it, only thing is i dont want to blow the motherboard by putting something to good for the computer inside of it :)

Thanks

Advertisements

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
You want to make sure the FSB speed the motherboard can support is higher than or equal to the max FSB the processor can produce.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I would like to buy a quad core at the moment from PC World, click here to look at it

How much?! £149.99 + 4.95? Please shop around before you buy anything from PC World, you can save a fortune.
£113.25 + free postage from Dabs, a saving of just over £40. Free postage on orders over £99 until the 31st of August.

This machine was originally released by Aldi in late 2004 and the Q6600 was first available from Amazon in February 2007.
Without knowing exactly what sort of motherboard, brand and model is in the Medion, we cannot say whether it'll be worth doing as it may need what's called a BIOS update to recognise the Q6600.

A spot of research turns up that your Medion uses an MSI 9701 board, which is not an official MSI board and therefore is a unique board for Medion. Any BIOS update that would be needed would need to come from them and not MSI. Since Medion PCs are sold in Aldi and Somerfield supermarkets in the UK pretty much on a "once they're gone they're gone" basis, finding support for them afterwards can be difficult.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Ok so what your saying is that i need to find out if i can get a bios update that's been out later than february 2007, and basically if i cant, i wont be able to buy it as it wont be compatible or is there an other way around this?

thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
It's not that you can't buy it, its more it won't come up as a Quad Core. Some boards refuse to boot at all if they see a processor they can't talk to.

mk1james

mk1james

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
and if it dont see it as a quad core there no point as its basilcy downgrading to a 2.4 from a 3.4, i went on the MSI website and i was trying to download the BIOS update off it ... but it keeps gettin stuck :| on the processing part, it does 3 ok then once it gets to the bois bit it fs up i can manualy do it but i dont understand what questions its asking me can you help?

http://global.msi.co...c=downloadindex

i worked out you need to put in
1st : Mainboard
2nd : intel platform
3rd : socket 775 intel (P4)
then the rest im clueless

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Your Medion MSI board is not an official MSI board therefore it will not show up on MSI's site.
Your best bet would be to contact Medion.