Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble after installing new mobo

• Please log in to reply

kooky_kev

kooky_kev

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a problem with my Dell Inspiron B120 and I was told I needed to replace the mobo. Instead of paying Dell several times what a new laptop would cost to fix the old one. I found a new motherboard and installed it. The laptop power and hard drive led lights come on for about 5 seconds and then they shut off. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

First eliminate the really obvious - do you have AC power connected or battery only? Make sure you are trying it with AC power in case battery is flat!

After that, I would check all the connections - especially the wireless (mini pci) card & the memory. Ensure they are fully inserted in the slots - in the case of the wireless card, try removing it completely if in any doubt. Also try removing the drives.

If that makes no difference, then you may have to strip it down further - check that the cpu fan is connected correctly. You may also need to check the cpu itself for bent pins etc.

I assume the new motherboard is exactly the same as the old one, right? Tell me if it is different. Also, what symptoms were you getting with the original motherboard? If they were the same as the one you're getting now (i.e shutting off after a few seconds), it's possible that another component, instead of or as well as, the motherboard is faulty.