Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading My Hp Pavilion dv9207us

• Please log in to reply

Darken1

Darken1

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have a HP Pavilion dv9207us laptop which is not as good as it once appeared and I am trying to up grade it. I got a new 7,200rpm hard drive for it which brought my vista rating for that to 5.4. The only other two things that I can really upgrade is my RAM and my CPU. HP says that the mother board does not allow of other CPU's which I don't really believe. I was using two sticks of 1gb Samsung ram running at I think 5-5-5-12 (model M470T2864DZ3-CE6) which gave me a score of 4.6. I just recently bought Kingston Hyper x RAM 3gb(2gb+1gb) (model KHX5300S2LLK2/3GR) they run at 4-4-4-12 and this brought my score down to a 4.5 in ram. I am also looking to upgrade my CPU being a Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73ghz, but HP will not tell me the socket type for this laptop. My question is why is the Kingston RAM which I have more of and should be a higher quality being shown as worse, should I even worry about these vista scores. Also I found in another forum someone said they put an Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 cpu in a HP dv9207us, will this work? What type of socket is the CPU in my system and could I use this processor that I found Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.50GHz) Mobile Processor. It says mobile but the picture shows desktop processor. From what I can tell I think it is a mobile 478 pin socket but there is no way for me to find out without opeing the machine and even then it may not have the socket on it. If the t7600 is really the highest I can put in my computer what is a 2.16ghz version of it cost because I am not spending $700 to improve this machine maybe 300 at the most.

Advertisements

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I answered part of my own question, the pavilion dv9207us only supports 1gb of memory per socket. I found this out through crucials web site, so according to that my system can't read the 2gb stick correctly. I tested this by keeping my 1gb stick of Kingston memory in and putting one of the old sticks of Samsung in. After running the vista ratings again my score went back up to 4.6. So the memory is not really the problem it is the computer. I do think that my start up has become faster with the 3gb so I am going to stay with it. The system still recognizes all 3gb but vista just doesn't like it, which I guess answers the other question of do the vista scores matter. No not too much. I am still wondering about the cpu though.

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Last of my own replys to this, I have answered my last question the Dv9207us motherboard is using a socket m. This must be a dieing socket because newegg only offers 4 cpus of that type three dual core and all are not in stock. The three that they have would have worked the T7200, T7400, and the T7600 cpus. The hard part was there are a few that say they are socket m are cheaper and have a higher ghz. I am not possitive because i didn't try it but these other models like the T7300 have an 800Mhz FSB rating where as the other three have a 667Mhz and I think the dv9207us can only handle the 667. I bought the T7200 because it was an attempt to keep my laptop some what upgraded for this next year without having to buy a new computer. The T7600 Is about 700 dollars any where you look, I think it may be the top of the line for this socket. I don't think it would be worth the upgrade, I am happy with my upgrade made and hope this helps some one else with a dv9207us upgrade out there because I know there is not a lot of information on upgrading this laptop.

Meganne

Meganne

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please could you clarify if you had to use a different processor bracket? I'm upgrading (initially was just rehabilitating) a dv9207us and intended to buy a T7200 to replace the actual T2250 but got confused by the HP Maintenance Guide. It states (if I understood correctly) that the processor bracket 8.1 is used for the T2250 and the processor bracket 7.9 is used for the T7200. Furthermore I was wondering about cooling and power problems since I would like to add a 2nd hard disk and replace the primary one. I understood from the same guide that I can't use RPM7200 and the maximum that could be used are 160GB RPM5400. As you can see I'm quite confused and any help would be appreciated.

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
You do not need a new bracket the T7200 works in the same sockets as my original T2250. Once you open it though you will have to use thermal paste unless you have a spare thermal pad somewhere. So there should be no problems there, I used artic silver 5 my cpu was running like 40 or 50 celcius, which if you are like me and only know fahrenheit that is a pretty good point to be at(used speedfan to find that out). Really in terms of cooling the only thing you have to worry about is the gpu under load mine was running 76-80 celcius, nice and toasty, probably because the heatsink isn't connected to the fan. Right now in my dv9207us I have a 250 gb 7,200rpm Western Digiatl as my main hard drive and a second 160 gb 5,400rpm as my second hard drive my battery doesn't last as long as it use to but I have had it for about 2 years now so it could have worn down as well. I don't think you will get 2 hours on battery unless it is a new battery and you put it on power save mode but I definatly get at east an hour using both drives and a T7200. Also have the three gigs of ram and I am planning on upgrading to four and going 64-bit since the processor is build for it I'll post how that goes. Sorry I didn't post sooner.

Also for anyone that looks at this in the future here is a link that will tell you what processors are compatable with the laptop. Don't forget the dv9207us laptop is a socket M.

http://forum.noteboo...ghlight=upgrade

Edited by Darken1, 15 February 2009 - 12:06 AM.

thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi! after reading this thread i am somewhat inspired to upgrade my dv9207us as well. right now it's with HP as they are working on the left hinge courtesy recall. but once i get it back i would like to look at the possibility of upgrading it without buying a new laptop. so maybe getting a t7200 processor would be my start.

but where can i get a service manual for this laptop to show me how to take things apart? care to share what you got? thanks!

fellow dv9207us owner

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hp's website actually allows you to download a complete breakdown of the laptop, and to get to the processor, you do have to take apart the whole laptop.

Right now I have 4 gigs (2x2gb) of memory and I upgraded my os to 64-bit vista business, I also have a 4gb sandisk extreme 3 plugged in for vista's ready boost.
a 250gb 7,200rpm for my main hard drive(this will give you the most noticeable boost in speed, after the cpu upgrade)

Side note: If you can afford it a solid state disk would be even better, faster and uses less power. SO your battery will last longer

and I have a 160gb 5,400 rpm hard drive as my secondary drive

everything runs fine, I don't think you can upgrade it any further.(there are no upgrades for the graphics)

but here is a link to that manual:

http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01311536.pdf

Other notes:
If you are going to do this yourself make sure you have a lt of room, so you don't loose any parts, and make sure you know where each screw goes.
The instructions tell you to remove a lot og things but a few you do not have to unscrew, you can just disconnect the wires from the motherboard.
The three parts I can think of off the bat are the power connector, wireless switch, and audio ports. You can just disconnect these you do not need to unscrew them.
the lid switch does not need to be removed or disconnected.

One last note if you have to use a lot of force to remove a wire your probably doing it wrong

Edited by Darken1, 04 April 2009 - 01:09 AM.

thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Darken! Thanks! I actually was able to find that service manual early on. I upgraded my laptop's processor to a T7200 this past weekend. So far so good! I used arctic silver 5 as well. Did you end up replacing the thermal pad on your GPU as well? I left it as is but was wondring if I should have gone the extra mile and removed that pad and put AS5 as well. I also upped the memory from 2GB to 3GB. Now I am waiting for the 7200rpm drive I bought from ebay. My total cost for the upgrade is about $100.

One thing that bothers me though is Adobe Premiere Elements is now crashing. All my other apps are working fine. I'm just always having memory issues with APE. I dunno if it's the problem of the software itself or what. But I remember being able to burn at least a couple of home movies (although really short clips) via APE prior to the upgrade. Would you suggest I try out a 4GB (2 x 2gb) setup and see if APE works ok?

Edited by thegoldenhand, 08 April 2009 - 08:51 AM.

Darken1

Darken1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I don't remember If I stated this my vista score went back up back up when I went from 3 gb to 4gb but it was only.1 point. So I guess vista likes it better when the RAM sticks are the same size. I did end up replacing the thermal pad on the GPU and put Arctic Silver 5, I honestly don't know if it made any improvements but I know that the first time I replaced it my GPU died. I got it back and replaced it a second time and it has been running fine since. My average temps for the GPU in speed fan 3.7 are 54 degrees C and under load some where in the upper to lower 60's depending on if it is on a table or my lap. Maybe you can compare these temps to yours and see if it is worth it.

As for APE I am not really sure I have never used that program but I have adobe Photoshop cs3 and Dreamweaver cs3 working fine, I know video editing takes a lot of RAM so maybe going up to 4gb might make it more stable. Another thing might be to disable vista's aero mode when you open APE, by right clicking the shortcut for the program and going to the compatibility tab and checking off the box "Disable Desktop Composition"

Hope this helps

Edited by Darken1, 10 April 2009 - 09:16 PM.

thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my APE problem went away after a few tries. so far so good.

i was able to get a 7200rpm drive which also helped speed up the laptop. i'll wait for a deal on 2x2gb ddr2s and see if that helps out further. but overall i am happy with the upgrade. programs are running much faster and i basically saved myself from having to buy a totally new laptop. thanks again!