Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't repair connection and is slow to connect at start.

• Please log in to reply

Lykathea

Lykathea

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Recently I was trying to speed up my connection for a download, however after I followed these steps:

- Go to Start then Run and type the word "cmd" (without quotation marks) in the Run box. A DOS window should open on screen.
- Type: "ipconfig /release" (without quotation marks) in the DOS window.
- Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been released.
- Type: "ipconfig /renew" (without quotation marks) in the DOS window.
- Wait a few seconds for a reply that the IP address has been re-established.
- Type: "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotation marks) in the DOS window.
- Close the DOS window and attempt to make a connection.

My internet connection is slower than usual to connect when I first start my PC and it won't let me click on the Local Area Connection icon to repair and fails saying it couldn't renew the IP, is there something I've done wrong to mess up the connection? Thanks.

Advertisements

Lykathea

Lykathea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
No reply?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

No reply?

Hello Lykathera

First thing your original post was on August 30th 2008 it is now 3rd September 2008, instead of leaving another reply we do have a special part of the forum called the waiting room which is here, just as a note if you post and don't recieve assistance within 3 days please post there, thank you.

In regards to your problem, your 1st post seems pretty good but what I would do first is to reset your modem by turning the power off, waiting for 30seconds then turning it back on and wait for a further 2 minutes, that can sort out quite a few internet releated problems.

Have you checked all cabling incase that hasn't come loose? I know its a basic question but that step is missed quite often :)

Also what were you using to speed up your internet connection incase I have mis-understood? because there is no guaranteed way to speed up your connection :) your connection speed comes from your ISP and not software so it wouldn't surprise me if that caused the problem you are having. Only your ISP can up your speed and just another note I wouldn't trust anyway method to speed up connection speeds.

Edited by wizzy2k5, 03 September 2008 - 07:58 AM.

Lykathea

Lykathea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I didn't use anything to speed it up, except for the method I typed, thanks for the help, I'll try it.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

I didn't use anything to speed it up, except for the method I typed, thanks for the help, I'll try it.

Ah, so i mis-understood :) my apology, let us know how you get along and if anything changes or you get a result.

Thanks

Lykathea

Lykathea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hm, I restarted my modem twice and both times it doesn't seem to do anything then a certain amount of time later, later that day it randomly disconnects and reconnects my internet but doesn't seem to change anything.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

it randomly disconnects and reconnects my internet but doesn't seem to change anything.

That is odd and is one thing I have never heard about or seen and have done the basic tests of what I would do, have you checked with your ISP to make sure they arn't doing and maintenance at all?

To make sure this isn't a malware issue I would like you to get a check done over at the malware forums just to rule this out, it may not be malware related but there no harm getting a check done :) I reccomend you read the following topic here and then post your problem here.

If you are clean of malware and still have the same issue afterwards please return to this topic.

Regards