Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IEEE 1394 controller driver

• Please log in to reply

Gswiss

Gswiss

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Running under XP-SP2, we want to transfer a video from a Sony TRV7E DV camera to a desktop pc using Pinnacle Studio 9.4 (or 10.5).

Pinnacle tells us that it doesn’t “see” a DV camera which is probably not switched on.

In fact, when you go into the Device Manager in the Control Panel, the IEEE 1394 controller item is displayed with the clasical black exclamation mark against a yellow background. Thus, the SONY IEEE card (in a PCI slot) is recognized but apparently the proper driver is missing.

We tried to install several drivers through the update driver option. No appropriate driver was found in XP-SP2 nor was any of the drivers we downloaded ok.

Is there any particular driver we could download?

Advertisements

bombasos2

bombasos2

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
This seems like an interesting problem. Sony does not seem to provide any drivers for this camera, and states that Windows should recognize the device. Microsoft states to contact manufacturer. That is at least for the Firewire side of things.

I would try a couple of things:

1. Go to device manager and uninstall the current drivers you have for that camera. You can right click and choose unistall.

2. Turn the computer off, connect the camera via Firewire, now turn on the computer and see if Windows recognizes the camera.

If you have a USB connection on that camera as well I would try using that.

Connect the camera to the computer via USB and see if windows asks for drivers. If it does you can try to use the disc that came with the camera, if there is not Cd or they do not work you can try using these drivers.

Hope this helps.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks for your tips. I'll be reporting back on Thursday, since this is a friend's computer, not mine.

Gswiss

Gswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
No soap. I disconnected the card and will be testing it on another machine. If it doesn't work then, we'll buy a new one. Thank you for your help.