Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Geeforce 6600 driver problem or...?

• Please log in to reply

nerrianah

nerrianah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!

I have a problem with my graphics card, or drivers, not sure what's wrong.

It happened literally overnight. I woke up to a blank screen, so I reseted the computer and after a minute or so when XP showed the desktop, my monitor goes blank with "no signal" displayed. I rebooted again and same thing happened, only faster. At first I thought it was a virus, checked the comp, nothing. Then I formatted the thing (it was about time anyway) and everything worked fine. Untill I installed the display drivers.

After it the monitor goes off again saying "no signal". I tried all kinds of things already, cleaning the graphic card, unpluggin the cables, switching to analog mode, I installed Driver Cleaner, removed nvidia drivers, reinstalled the newest... same problem. I also tried older versions of the drivers and it wont help.

What buggs me the most is that it, like I said happened overnight. Everything worked fine untill today.

Please help, I have no idea what could be wrong.

Advertisements

DA IMP

DA IMP

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello there.

First of all, it would be useful for you to share more hardware specifications with us. Exact brand and model of your graphic card (is it nVidia brand? The GeForce 6600 chipset is used by several brands, not just nVidia)...motherboard... and OS version. What Windows do you have?

On graphic card drivers on XP, I think it's safest to just stick to whatever works, even if it's not the most up to date thing. In these buggy cases, I believe the default drivers brought by XP are the safest. All else may bring all sorts of unpleant situations.

Is there any particular reason you want the drivers installed? Are there any problems with using the default ones that Windows comes up with on its own?

Hope this helps clear things up a bit. Graphic cards is not my field, but I've faced similar issues before.

nerrianah

nerrianah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello there.

First of all, it would be useful for you to share more hardware specifications with us. Exact brand and model of your graphic card (is it nVidia brand? The GeForce 6600 chipset is used by several brands, not just nVidia)...motherboard... and OS version. What Windows do you have?

On graphic card drivers on XP, I think it's safest to just stick to whatever works, even if it's not the most up to date thing. In these buggy cases, I believe the default drivers brought by XP are the safest. All else may bring all sorts of unpleant situations.

Is there any particular reason you want the drivers installed? Are there any problems with using the default ones that Windows comes up with on its own?

Hope this helps clear things up a bit. Graphic cards is not my field, but I've faced similar issues before.

Hi, ah sorry I forgot to write those hehe.

Im running Windows XP professional, motherboard is Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (nForce4x4X?) and Graphic card is Winfast PX6600 TD, 128MB. The thing is that windows cant find the drivers, it marks it something like Video Controller (VGA Compatible). If I dont install the drivers everything works so SLOW, like moving a window across desktop etc...

I've had this computer for... I think 5 years now, and I never had any problems with installing the drivers. I always downloaded ones from Leadtek and it always worked. Why have they stopped working overnight is beyond me. Is there a possibility that part of my graphics card just died?

nerrianah

nerrianah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Eek, double post...

Edited by nerrianah, 31 August 2008 - 01:07 AM.