Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Freezes shortly after starting

• Please log in to reply

lionn

lionn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is going to be a long story. :) But Its needed to understand the issues.

A few weeks ago I was running window updates on my system. After having them installed I re booted. On reboot I notice I had lost all USB control.

I had read that this can happen after running updates and you have to remove SP2. I also read that continuing to update to SP3 can resolve the issue. So I did that :) - knowing how Windows hate to go backwards. After updating to SP3. I still had the same USB issues.

I figured that the drivers where corrupt and proceeded to try to update the drivers. Search the drivers alone was a lost cause so I went with a "driver updated". It was at that point I contracted a virus that attached solely to IE. I ran a Virus removal program that located a deleted the infected upon reboot. So i rebooted and it was gone. However now shortly after my system has started,... it freezes. ;)

The box isn't on long enough to do much of nothing. I even tried to do a Scan disk boot and that froze. :)

Right now I'm trying to run windows repair only get to the part where is ask "which Windows installion would you like to log into?" My only option is 1 - However after pressing 1 nothing seems to happen.

Please any suggestions or help would be great fully appreciated.

Lionn

Side Bar:
I have other Hard drivers I'd like to us on this box however they were originally installed on a PC133 box, and my current isn't. Is there a way to configure the older hard drives to the newer box?

Advertisements