Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems connecting my Sony Vaio to wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

vaiouser

vaiouser

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everybody.

I have a linksys WRT54G2 router that i recently bought. and i have this old laptop its from around 2004 if i remmebr right. its a sony vaio VGN-A130B, and im running windows xp professional vrsion 2002 service pack 1.

now the problem is i see all availbele wireless networks including my own, but when i choose mine and enter the network key (i believee its the network secturity key) and click connect nothing happens, it does not connect but it doesnt give me a message saying couldnt connect either....what should i do?

i was searching the internet and there was something about putting a service pack 2??? sorry guys im pretty new to this stuff please help me out.

do i have to configure my router or something? do i have to install some software on my laptop?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Service Pack 2 overhauled the entire wireless aspect of Windows XP to a point where its far better to use than it ever was before.
Service Pack 3 superseded Service Pack 2 but includes all of its functionality so that'll be better to go for. It also adds support for more wireless technologies and encryption support that wasn't available at the time of SP1.

vaiouser

vaiouser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you guys for the replies.

Installing SP2 solved the problem!