Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly Slow Wireless Internet

• Please log in to reply

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
About a month ago I set up a wireless router in my house and it was working great with about download speeds of 200 kbps. Now it has slowed to about 50 kbps. I can't watch streamed videos or play online games. I've tried restarting everything and making sure there is no interference. I still get my normal speed when I connect directly with a cord though. I've also tried changing the channel and switching passwords in case someone is leeching. I'm experiencing the same problem on two different windows laptops and an ubuntu desktop. I can't figure out what could be causing it so I'm leaving this one up to some help.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

I've also tried changing the channel and switching passwords in case someone is leeching.

Are you using WEP or WPA?

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I'm using 128 bit WEP encryption.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Well, I can't say whether or not someone is leeching your internet or not but I can say that a WEP is very trivial to crack. It is still better than having no encryption at all but anyone can crack it following a quick google search....

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Assuming that it's not a problem with someone leeching (since the signal hardly reaches outside my house at all and I'm good friends with all my neighbors) what else could be causing it run so slowly all of a sudden?

sithpigeon

sithpigeon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I got it. I changed the router's basic and tx rates from 1-2 mbps to 1-2-5.5-11 mbps. Seems to be working now.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Good to hear. Don't forget to put WPA on it :).