Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hypothetical Question

• Please log in to reply

ganroz

ganroz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, I have a question that has been bugging me for quite a bit. I had this laptop with windows vista preloaded on it. Let's say I reformatted this laptop. Would I be able to use the product key or would I have to buy Vista?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You should be able to use the product key.
The machine should have a recovery partition where you can; Make recovery disc, or use the recovery partition to restore the machine back to factory condition.
Note that ether one of these options will cause the loss of all of your data.
Please back up all of your documents, pictures, music, ETc... before using any of the options.
When using the recovery partition you should not have to enter a product key.
In theury the product key is not tied to the media so you should be able to use any valid disc with your key to install on that machine.
This does not work with a set of recovery disc from a different machine.

Scott Mead

Scott Mead

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have never had or seen a OEM computer where when you restore the system using the restore disk that it ever asks for the product key.

Scott

ganroz

ganroz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright thanks guys. Much appreciated.